The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 36
Default

I think I'd rather be lit up than run over any day... it's hard to stop their momentum. That's a hard hit right there.
Mr.Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Posts: 7,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmarknc View Post
I use mine for spotting buoys in the dark or pilings lit up on radar. But only very briefly.

You don't want to ruin your night vision.
Or anybody elses. And unless it is a new moon, you don't need the spotlight if you have radar.
N2theblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Posts: 7,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wizard View Post
I think I'd rather be lit up than run over any day... it's hard to stop their momentum. That's a hard hit right there.
It should not be an either/or situation with somebody competent at the helm
N2theblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 5,474
Default

So what are the rules regarding spot lighting nearby traffic?
Corndog38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Posts: 7,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog38 View Post
So what are the rules regarding spot lighting nearby traffic?
I don't know of any official rules, but the prudent thing to do is not shine a light on the person at the helm, and avoid lighting up a boat at all. Most boats have a white interior and when you hit it with a white spotlight it glows incredibly bright and destroys night vision for 5-10 minutes.
N2theblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Muddy Creek, Va & Hunting Quarters, NC
Posts: 1,296
Default

The rule is to post a lookout, maintain a safe speed, avoid a collision

"Powerful forward-looking lights or swivel-mounted or handheld spotlights can be helpful, but they can also confuse other boaters by overpowering your navigation lights or blinding approaching captains. Use spotlights judiciously, not continuously, and never shine them into the face of another boater." Copied from Discover boating.

Last edited by ThumperVII; 01-07-2017 at 03:28 PM.
ThumperVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #47
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,631
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesFAQ


Look at #14
InternationalMarineBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:04 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2theblue View Post
It should not be an either/or situation with somebody competent at the helm
X2

In fact one obstructs the other.
Trim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:05 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalMarineBrian View Post
Any light other than navi while making way can be seen as a violation.
Trim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 AM   #50
Admirals Club
 
captainmarknc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 1,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2theblue View Post
Or anybody elses. And unless it is a new moon, you don't need the spotlight if you have radar.
I am very cognizant of other boaters (and their night vision). I use my situational awareness as much as possible. I can't remember the last time I used my spotlight - probably leaving CB inlet at dark with posted lookout on bow asking for it.

I used a hand held far more often when on a small boat in my younger years.

I will light up a buoy to get number confirmation in a little used or unfamiliar harbor. And there are situations when 2 or more channels merge when you need that info.

I seldom boat at night - just no need for it.

Some of these ferry operators have little regard for recreational boats. The Staten Island ferry pulled right out in front of me one time on the east river - he signaled 3 whistles and cut off the channel at a high rate of speed in no time flat. I was very surprised - but not so surprised when the same ferry hit the dock and hurt several passengers some time later.

You need to be aware of all operators when boating.
captainmarknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #51
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,049
Default

I use mine in bogue sound all the time - my son sits up front and spots the things we know are coming. I don't have a radar and even with all the local buoys and duck blinds marked on my gps, I just feel more comfortable seeing them well in advance. I guess I'm a bad boater in this regard. I would never shine my light on another boat however or even the shoreline.
one wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #52
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Beaufort North Carolina
Posts: 2,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by one wolf View Post
I use mine in bogue sound all the time - my son sits up front and spots the things we know are coming. I don't have a radar and even with all the local buoys and duck blinds marked on my gps, I just feel more comfortable seeing them well in advance. I guess I'm a bad boater in this regard. I would never shine my light on another boat however or even the shoreline.
No, not a bad boater at all, just use common sense, turn on the light pointing near the boat, pan out watching the outer edge of the beam, it will show buoys / boats without blinding them.
Ken T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Posts: 7,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken T View Post
No, not a bad boater at all, just use common sense, turn on the light pointing near the boat, pan out watching the outer edge of the beam, it will show buoys / boats without blinding them.
Yup
N2theblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmarknc View Post
I am very cognizant of other boaters (and their night vision). I use my situational awareness as much as possible. I can't remember the last time I used my spotlight - probably leaving CB inlet at dark with posted lookout on bow asking for it.

I used a hand held far more often when on a small boat in my younger years.

I will light up a buoy to get number confirmation in a little used or unfamiliar harbor. And there are situations when 2 or more channels merge when you need that info.

I seldom boat at night - just no need for it.

Some of these ferry operators have little regard for recreational boats. The Staten Island ferry pulled right out in front of me one time on the east river - he signaled 3 whistles and cut off the channel at a high rate of speed in no time flat. I was very surprised - but not so surprised when the same ferry hit the dock and hurt several passengers some time later.

You need to be aware of all operators when boating.
I frequent the NY harbor and I am astonished that ferry doesnt run over people daily.
Trim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by one wolf View Post
I use mine in bogue sound all the time - my son sits up front and spots the things we know are coming. I don't have a radar and even with all the local buoys and duck blinds marked on my gps, I just feel more comfortable seeing them well in advance. I guess I'm a bad boater in this regard. I would never shine my light on another boat however or even the shoreline.
We all do that. Specially in unfamiliar area.

My night vision is terrible and my marina is backlit by Citifield and Laguardia airport.
Trim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #56
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lakeville Ma
Posts: 4,088
Default

I found that a powerful enough flashlight will light up the reflective markers from a good distance away. With my electrinics I'll know the general area I'm looking and what I'm looking for. No need to be scanning around with a giant spotlight. Obviously I'm not flying around while doing this, usually just above idle in a tight channel or harbor entrance.
Stickbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:06 AM   #57
Admirals Club
 
captainmarknc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 1,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbo View Post
I found that a powerful enough flashlight will light up the reflective markers from a good distance away. With my electrinics I'll know the general area I'm looking and what I'm looking for. No need to be scanning around with a giant spotlight. Obviously I'm not flying around while doing this, usually just above idle in a tight channel or harbor entrance.
Flashlights don't work so well behind a windshield. That's why they put them up by the pulpit or on top of the hardtop. Cuts down on reflective white foredeck.

They have their purpose, but are used very seldom. If someone fell overboard at night, they would be very useful.
captainmarknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:06 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Carteret County
Posts: 310
Default

I use my spotlight in Bogue sound a lot at night when gigging. If there is moonlight I dont use it but on dark nights I do. I would not soley depend on a gps. I dont shine it at other boats except a quick flash at the hull. A lot of gig boats dont use nav lights when gigging. I also shine at the bank to get my bearings when traveling I dont see anything wrong with that.

Its also helpful when you have a holes that dont use any lights at high speed, one almost killed me and my daughter one nite a 30+ footer with no lights at all. I would have lit him up if I had time before he almost swamped us, at least I might have had a chance.
islandman2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #59
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lakeville Ma
Posts: 4,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmarknc View Post
Flashlights don't work so well behind a windshield. That's why they put them up by the pulpit or on top of the hardtop. Cuts down on reflective white foredeck.

They have their purpose, but are used very seldom. If someone fell overboard at night, they would be very useful.
That makes sense.
Stickbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wizard View Post
I think I'd rather be lit up than run over any day... it's hard to stop their momentum. That's a hard hit right there.
They got lit up and runned over.

They have radar, horn and vhf. No need to put a spot in your face.
Trim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 PM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.