The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > THE TRADING DOCK - CLASSIFIED ADS > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Search

Notices

Random Quote: Early to bed early to rise fish like hell and make up lies.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 AM
  #1    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 51
Default Cat 3116.......??

I have heard different opinions on this engine.....I have recently looked at a few older qaulity built boats with these.

Scenario:

Cat 3116, single
300 hp
3100 hours
1991 vintage 27' boat

In general, assume its just in average condition and covering all the major components/stress points and assuming its not looking "mint" with good records.....

Is the rebuild $10,000 or $20,000 bogey? Can this engine if worked on still have life for a couple more years and another 1,500 hours...? Ideally,I would put some money where needed and run this engine for a couple years and that would include canyon range trips.

(I had 3208's in the past which were bullet proof for the most part for my experience)

Is is it not worth it and a tear out and repower.....??? Is the 3116 a long life engine if weel maintained? Does it have any well known drawbacks?

I believe these engines at one point had issues?

Thank you.
SeaCraftJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:43 AM
  #2    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location:
Posts: 603
Default

Based on other similar threads, you're best bet is to spend $25 at boatdiesel.net and read.
Texas 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 AM
  #3    
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 42
Default

I am no expert...but what I do remember...it had something to do with where the blocks were made...I think the French made blocks were especially of concern. I also believe it depended how the engines where maintained, if they were ran anything but gently.
Ralph163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 AM
  #4    
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCraftJ2 View Post
I have heard different opinions on this engine.....I have recently looked at a few older qaulity built boats with these.

Scenario:

Cat 3116, single
300 hp
3100 hours
1991 vintage 27' boat

In general, assume its just in average condition and covering all the major components/stress points and assuming its not looking "mint" with good records.....

Is the rebuild $10,000 or $20,000 bogey? Can this engine if worked on still have life for a couple more years and another 1,500 hours...? Ideally,I would put some money where needed and run this engine for a couple years and that would include canyon range trips.

(I had 3208's in the past which were bullet proof for the most part for my experience)

Is is it not worth it and a tear out and repower.....??? Is the 3116 a long life engine if weel maintained? Does it have any well known drawbacks?

I believe these engines at one point had issues?

Thank you.
Many of the inshore lobster boats in maine have the 3116 300hp upwards of 5K hrs. a friend of mine is a surveyor up there and sees them all the time. provided they don't have the french built blocks (can be confirmed via SN) they are typically fine engines. i have them in my boat (2500hrs) and never had an issue with the engines themselves. just the occasional usual crap that breaks on all engines over time. (exchangers, turbos, alternators etc).
BMG50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM
  #5    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 51
Default

Thanks for the reply, hearing same basically...if its good its good.
SeaCraftJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:24 PM
  #6    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location:
Posts: 642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG50 View Post
Many of the inshore lobster boats in maine have the 3116 300hp upwards of 5K hrs. a friend of mine is a surveyor up there and sees them all the time. provided they don't have the french built blocks (can be confirmed via SN) they are typically fine engines. i have them in my boat (2500hrs) and never had an issue with the engines themselves. just the occasional usual crap that breaks on all engines over time. (exchangers, turbos, alternators etc).
Them Damn Frenchys ! Only good thing they ever made was them FRIES !
lobsterboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
  #7    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 120
Default

French blocks were 5% of the 3116 Produced. very small amount they got away from the French quickly. Mine have been flawless.
Sound Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM
  #8    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sag Harbor, N.Y.
Posts: 535
Default

I have twin 1994 300hp 3116, I my self was very weary of engines at first. I went thru everything on each engine, they have been great so far . Just make sure the engine reaches 2850-2900 rpm fully loaded. I am sure at 3100 hrs if it hasn,t had any problems , will most likely go another 1500 hrs with good maintaince.Good luck
renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM
  #9    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 49
Default

Brother-in-Law is Cert. Caterpillar Master Mechanic... TRUCKS ONLY. Word is there are issues with the 3116, hence the introduction of the 3126. I was told problem lies in the number six cylinder. Seems that cylinder is very susceptible to heat. Every diesel is heat sensitive IMHO, I know people on both sides of the argument. I personally been on a boat that has them with over 4000 hrs.
I was told to just buy used or reman 3126 and drop in, ultimately I didn't buy that boat for other reasons. However, when I went to a Cat dealer to pick up some parts from the machine shop, they had a 3116 on the dyno giving problems after rebuild. I asked, 6th cylinder? shop manager rolled his eyes in affirmation.
__________________
For Sale 1984 Topaz 36 Express
hasmarlin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM
  #10    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 485
Default

A truck that goes a million miles runs in the neighborhood of 15,000 hours.

A commercial fishing vessel puts over 50,000 hours in ten years.

These forums are infested with the belief that 5,000 hours are high hours for diesel........

If a diesel comes with replaceable cylinder liners their expected life with routine usage & maintenance far exceeds what is religiously deemed to be "high hours".


*3116 & 3126 do not have replaceable liners. With that said they do need cylinder boring & honing for a rebuild.

Last edited by Bucket List; 09-12-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Bucket List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 PM
  #11    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 485
Default




Notice the duty rating.....

Notice scheduled oil change...... 250 hours!

How many pleasure boaters would need to change oil more than once a year?

250hrs X 10yrs = 2500 hours see my previous post!
Bucket List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:41 AM
  #12    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,759
Default

If the motor already has 3100 hrs, that specific engine is fine. If you had a bad block, it would have been demonstrated already.
__________________
46 Chesapeake Deadrise - 2x Cummins 6bt - Sold
35 Duffy - Cat 3208 - Sold (unfortunately)
23 Potter SeaCraft/Honda 225

Native Son of Maryland's Lower Eastern Shore
chrisrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:16 AM
  #13    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,160
Default

The French blocks were around 1997/1998 ... you Don't have French Blocks.
LongIslandFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:48 PM
  #14    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 51
Default

Thanks for all the feedback on THT ! Very helpful as ususal.
SeaCraftJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:32 PM
  #15    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 51
Default

Ran the sea trial today. No smoke, engine did not reach 2800/2850 underway...2650 was WOT on the gun. Also, appears it may be a french block but will verify with CAT. Though with 3,000 hours...that should have been an issue a long time ago? Appears few updates have been done per mechanic.

WOT 2650 speed was just touching 24 knots, 2400 was about 22.5 knots.

The trim tabs were locked in the bow down position though.....boat was digging in slightly and has a chine rail - so wondering the negative impact of that....?

Anyone ever heard btw that a barrier coat applied will read higher on the moisture meter? I had not heard that before if the case.

Im thinking maybe dropping in a reman Cat 3126 or Cummins 6bta may make more sense then $3,500-$5,000 ball park on deferred maintenance mechanic recomended.

Boats......
SeaCraftJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 PM
  #16    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, NJ
Posts: 106
Default

I run 3116ta's they have around 2750hrs on them now and have been and always will be maintained with an open check book and I love them. They push my bert to 25kt cruise at 2400 rpm and are relatively economical to run. The 3116 have a bunch of benefits over the 3208 in my particular application. The french soft core blocks are what gave the engine a bad rap. There are very few of them left, because most of them have blown up. If it was maintained well and surveys well, imho... Great engine!
If it ain't a cat.... It's a dawg!
__________________

1978 Bertram / 3116TA Cats currently undergoing renovation.
1989 Grady White 28 Marlin (Lost to that bitch Sandy)
DoubleTrouble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:48 PM
  #17    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 22
Default

You can go over to ClubSeaRay and do a search on the 3116/3126 a bunch of threads about that engine.
I love my 3126 Cats. Cruise around 2000-2100 rpm 19kts or so 18-20 gph. Thats hard to beat. Good luck, JC
JC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:43 AM
  #18    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,160
Default

Any engine not making its rating WOT RPM for a period of time is NOT good for the engine. Droping a 3126 wont solve the RPM issue...... find the issue first.
LongIslandFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:24 PM
  #19    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ct River Valley
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCraftJ2 View Post
Ran the sea trial today. No smoke, engine did not reach 2800/2850 underway...2650 was WOT on the gun. Also, appears it may be a french block but will verify with CAT. Though with 3,000 hours...that should have been an issue a long time ago? Appears few updates have been done per mechanic.

WOT 2650 speed was just touching 24 knots, 2400 was about 22.5 knots.

The trim tabs were locked in the bow down position though.....boat was digging in slightly and has a chine rail - so wondering the negative impact of that....?

Anyone ever heard btw that a barrier coat applied will read higher on the moisture meter? I had not heard that before if the case.

Im thinking maybe dropping in a reman Cat 3126 or Cummins 6bta may make more sense then $3,500-$5,000 ball park on deferred maintenance mechanic recomended.

Boats......
The tabs locked down is a big hit on reaching top rpm. Can't estimate the effect but it's big. Get the tabs fixed and run it again. Or not...
Bill_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 PM
  #20    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandFisherman View Post
Any engine not making its rating WOT RPM for a period of time is NOT good for the engine. Droping a 3126 wont solve the RPM issue...... find the issue first.
1) IT IS PLOWING! .....fix the tabs & trial again.

2) Was shaft alignment confirmed? ....... bring a IR gun or better yet a IR camera on next sea trial. Shoot the packing box & coupling for abnormally high temps.

3) If a barrier coat was applied without removing every blister beforehand that would explain hull moisture (excessive weight). Are the stringers solid?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...s#.Uku40igXJvY

4) If engine still does not reach WOT, the prop may need tweaking.
Bucket List is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0