The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Default Anyone with actual G2 etec experience

Considering going from a G1 250 to a G2 300. Has anyone on here had any personal experience with the G2? I am not looking for I know a guy who knows a guy whose 3rd cousin removed had one. I want actual owner reports. And I don't want to hear how much better the 4S are, I do not like 4S performance. I know all manufactures have issues with various engines at times, and once the kinks are worked out they are good engines. For the record the worst engine I have ever owned was a 4S, and perhaps the best all around I ever had was a later year rude DI.
wejohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: central Maine
Posts: 1,034
Default



I've only got about 7 or 8 hours on mine. It replaced a 2004 150 DI. Quieter. More torque, plains a LOT quicker and I mean a LOT. As I had no way to gauge my previous fuel economy I can't speak to how it compares with the new one. I have run it at 28 mph at 3550 rpm, 4.3 mpg at 6.8 gph. I guess that's pretty good. I love the integrated power steering. My transom is nice and tidy now. The auto trim feature is nice and likely is part of the reason I get on plain so quick. I love the new integrated throttle control. Fly by wire is much much smoother and more precise. I especially love the RPM +- feature that allows you to increase the RPMs in small increments (50 at headway, 100 at cruise) without adjusting the throttle control. I find I use it often as I'm cruising along and turn to find the current or winds have changed and I need a bit more engine go.

So far, so good.
xp8103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Miami Beach/Key Largo
Posts: 223
Default

I have G2 300's on my Intrepid 339. Only about 35 hours so far but love them. They are as efficient on my 34 foot Intrepid as my G1 250's were on the 26 foot Intrepid before it...maybe even a tad better then the G1's

I get 1.6 to 1.8 mpg from 3600 rpm to 5800 rpm and they really aren't broken in yet.
mkintrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,738
Default

I have a pair of 2016 300's on my 32 regulator. I have around 400 hours. I love the motors and they have been flawless up until this past weekend. The integrated power steering failed. We had to break several things to get the tie bar loose along with damaging the panel on my starboard motor by having to trim it up with it in the locked position. I am still waiting to hear if evinrude will cover these items under warranty. We were 40 miles out and that was the only way to get the slave motor (do not have DPS) free so we could steer it with ropes.
Attached Images
 
timothyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,738
Default

not sure why that pic is sideways
timothyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
flyau98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Blackwater River, FL
Posts: 3,257
Default

I'm about 40 hours into my 300 G2. It was a repower from a Yamaha F150, so even without the "2-stroke torque", power, etc, it blows the old motor out of the water (any 300 would have to some extent).

I'm really happy with the motor though, the integrated power steering is awesome, fly by wire-awesome, auto-trim-awesome... No dealer maintenance for 500 hours - super awesome. Auto-winterzation (now that I'm leaving south Florida) - awesome, fuel efficiency-awesome, 10 year warranty - awesome...

I can't talk to the oil use yet, its still likely in its double-oil break-in period.

It is a little louder than the competition, but not by much... and I think it sounds like a sports car.

If I were to buy another boat today, another G2 would be my first choice.
flyau98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
flyau98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Blackwater River, FL
Posts: 3,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyj View Post
The integrated power steering failed. We had to break several things to get the tie bar loose along with damaging the panel on my starboard motor by having to trim it up with it in the locked position. I am still waiting to hear if evinrude will cover these items under warranty. We were 40 miles out and that was the only way to get the slave motor (do not have DPS) free so we could steer it with ropes.
I'd be interested in hearing what the mechanic says...

I assumed that if the DPS failed (barring a catastrophic failure of the mechanism), that you'd just have regular old-fashioned sea star-like steering.

My dealer did tell me you can order individual side panels...compared to replacing another brand's cowling, I think you'll find the price isn't too terrible.
flyau98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyau98 View Post
I'd be interested in hearing what the mechanic says...

I assumed that if the DPS failed (barring a catastrophic failure of the mechanism), that you'd just have regular old-fashioned sea star-like steering.

My dealer did tell me you can order individual side panels...compared to replacing another brand's cowling, I think you'll find the price isn't too terrible.
That is what I thought too, but that is not the case. We tried everything under the moon to free the starboard (master) motor up and could not do so. My mechanic said that the pump itself failed.
timothyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location:
Posts: 965
Default

Hmmmmm 1 of 3 responding owners has a catastrophic failure at 400 hours. Wonder if this is a common issue or an isolated case.

Repower is in our future, and have been looking to get Rude.
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
TDL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyj View Post
That is what I thought too, but that is not the case. We tried everything under the moon to free the starboard (master) motor up and could not do so. My mechanic said that the pump itself failed.
Great job on that MacGyver's move to steer that boat!
Looks like your starboard motor locked up to the right after the steering pump failed. I would think there should be a valve that you could drain the steering fluid and then free the motor to at least straight back. Just curious, are you able to plan your boat with one engine? must be a long ride from 40 miles away!
TDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
Admirals Club
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 14,970
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I'm not so much interested in the fact that there was a failure... I'm more interested in what Evinrude does for the owner in that case. It will tell you all you need to know.

When I was repowering I was VERY close to going with twin G2... the price was the same (crazy good pricing at FLIBS)... but I just don't get the warm and fuzzies from Evinrude as far as trust.

Let's see how the guy that was steering with ropes makes out.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL View Post
Great job on that MacGyver's move to steer that boat!
Looks like your starboard motor locked up to the right after the steering pump failed. I would think there should be a valve that you could drain the steering fluid and then free the motor to at least straight back. Just curious, are you able to plan your boat with one engine? must be a long ride from 40 miles away!

We tried. trust me, we tried. We broke every fitting loose we could find. believe it or not, it will plane out on one motor, and if the situation had called for it, i would have but I chose to just do the 7mph on the way home
timothyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I'm not so much interested in the fact that there was a failure... I'm more interested in what Evinrude does for the owner in that case. It will tell you all you need to know.

When I was repowering I was VERY close to going with twin G2... the price was the same (crazy good pricing at FLIBS)... but I just don't get the warm and fuzzies from Evinrude as far as trust.

Let's see how the guy that was steering with ropes makes out.
I am curious as well. I had G1's before, and although I never had any major failures, the few things that crept up they always took care of. I will keep everyone posted.
timothyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #14
Admirals Club
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 16,114
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I'm not so much interested in the fact that there was a failure... I'm more interested in what Evinrude does for the owner in that case. It will tell you all you need to know.

When I was repowering I was VERY close to going with twin G2... the price was the same (crazy good pricing at FLIBS)... but I just don't get the warm and fuzzies from Evinrude as far as trust.

Let's see how the guy that was steering with ropes makes out.
So who gave you the warm and fuzzy feeling?
fishingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #15
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,853
Default

being stuck on the water SUCKS big time, I know... One of our lasts trips to Bimini (with guests) got completely screwed up by a catastrophic failure in a LU...

That being said, all brands have problems and none of them is bullet proof. First time in my life that have a problem like this and was already preparing myself to be out of the water for 2 or 3 weeks,
Like somebody mentioned before your dealer will make it or brake it for you... In my case they had me back on the water in little over 24 hs... no way to beat that...
emudryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #16
TDL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyj View Post
We tried. trust me, we tried.

No doubt .
it will plane out on one motor, and if the situation had called for it,
This alone is valuable to me. Don't want to be caught in 5 footer doing 10 mph!
i would have but I chose to just do the 7mph on the way home.
Trolling time! Wait, your post give the constant G2 trolls a big bait to bite!
In May I went to an Envirude dealer to check up the G2 in person since I am thinking about repowering, but the price was scary high up in the north.
TDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emudryj View Post
being stuck on the water SUCKS big time, I know... One of our lasts trips to Bimini (with guests) got completely screwed up by a catastrophic failure in a LU...

That being said, all brands have problems and none of them is bullet proof. First time in my life that have a problem like this and was already preparing myself to be out of the water for 2 or 3 weeks,
Like somebody mentioned before your dealer will make it or brake it for you... In my case they had me back on the water in little over 24 hs... no way to beat that...
I was hoping that it would be back up and going by friday but they said probably not. Evidently they are having to dismount the motors and all to get to the steering. Plus, however long it takes to get the parts and all in. not sure...
timothyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #18
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyj View Post
I was hoping that it would be back up and going by friday but they said probably not. Evidently they are having to dismount the motors and all to get to the steering. Plus, however long it takes to get the parts and all in. not sure...
Again... I think it is all on the dealer....
I called my dealer on monday. He told me to bring it on wednesday
I dropped the boat at the shop wednesday around 9 AM.
At 12, they were already ordering the LU to be shipped overnight.
Thursday at 10 the LU was delivered, at 12 they call me to tell me the boat was ready and they were cleaning it for me.
I picked it up back around 3 PM little bit over 24hs after I left it at the shop...
emudryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #19
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston Northshore
Posts: 61
Default

I put a G2 300 on my Grady and I'm thrilled with the result. It's a great engine with amazing performance.

Mine is an early one (2014 build date) and last year I did have a power steering issue - the pump had to be replaced but my dealer and Evinrude covered everything, including a complete replacement of steering fluid and power flush and I only lost a couple days on the water since a part had to be ordered. There was no loss of steering - only assist.

The auto trim is very cool, and the ability to do a visual inspection of the lower unit oil is a great feature.

Oil consumption for me after 120 hours averages about 75:1. It is quiet at idle, a nice growl when taking off, and smooth when running. I couldn't be happier.
artodea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #20
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Queens, ny
Posts: 1,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post


I've only got about 7 or 8 hours on mine. It replaced a 2004 150 DI. Quieter. More torque, plains a LOT quicker and I mean a LOT. As I had no way to gauge my previous fuel economy I can't speak to how it compares with the new one. I have run it at 28 mph at 3550 rpm, 4.3 mpg at 6.8 gph. I guess that's pretty good. I love the integrated power steering. My transom is nice and tidy now. The auto trim feature is nice and likely is part of the reason I get on plain so quick. I love the new integrated throttle control. Fly by wire is much much smoother and more precise. I especially love the RPM +- feature that allows you to increase the RPMs in small increments (50 at headway, 100 at cruise) without adjusting the throttle control. I find I use it often as I'm cruising along and turn to find the current or winds have changed and I need a bit more engine go.

So far, so good.
Care to tell us the OTD price for this 200 G2? It's not the HO, right?
limshady88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.