The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again LL
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
  #1    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 85
Default Etec failed injectors 2008 - 225

I noticed that all the threads on this subject had ceased after 2011 so I figured I would start a new thread on the Etec injector senario.
I am hoping that the reason no threads after 2011 is that installing new injectors solved all the problems?
I have a 2008 - 225 Etec with 245 hours that stopped running last fall. Took to shop and had shorted #1 & 2 injectors which shut the engine completely down. BRP as a precaution installed a new EMM under warranty. Got boat back in February and did not run it until April. Less than 20 hours the #4 injector went out with an open code. As a precaution to eliminate the bad fuel possibility I drained all the gas from the tank, replaced the on boat water seperator cartdridge, the moter fuel fuel filter and all 6 spark plugs. (yes I did index them) Also use XD100 oil.
Let me also mention that I do not use ethenol fuel. I use 87 octain reg fuel.
Ran boat about 10 hours and went into safe mode again? Took to shop and they replaced injectors 3 & 6 which showed shorted code. Tech said injector #5 was not passing the static test with flying colors and recomended replacing.

So now I have 6 new injectors which all ahave a manufacture date of 2013.
All the old injectors were all manufactured in 2008.
All the bad injectors were clean as a whitsle with no corrosion and no signs of water?
4 of the 6 replaced injectors failed due to short, 1 with open code and 1 with bad static reading.

My question is to all the old posters who had problems: Did the problems go away once you got rid of the 2008 manufactured injectors?
I see no new posts for bad injectors on the newer models.

HOPE MY PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED!!!

I love the engine and I am not an Etec basher!
crabber5010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 AM
  #2    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Cocoa, FL Brevard
Posts: 3,365
Default

You might consider posting this on the etecownersgroup.com website...if you already haven't as they deal exclusively with these motors.

Cheers.
__________________
My Suzuki 200's have tons of Torque, please no more lame talk about having to change the oil. Fish On...
HighSpeedPursuit is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 AM
  #3    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal, HB
Posts: 254
Default

From your experience there must have been a bad batch in that production group , I have all the original injectors on an 06 200 HO.
__________________
mossbackinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 AM
  #4    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,455
Default

Remember that every E-Tec injector is electronically operated. They're not anything like a standard mechanically pressured injector. If I were to guess, I'd say your injectors were damaged by something EMM or similar related - not fuel at all... What has BRP told you about this problem?

By the way I'm on my third E-Tec 90 and have never run anything other than ethanol laced fuel. The folks I rely on (I'm in commercial service as a full time fishing guide) at Seapower (located in Miami) long ago told me that E-Tecs weren't particularly sensitive to fuels with ethanol as long you kept water out of your fuel system and your fuel lines in good condition - and I've found that to be the case (since 2005 when I was one of the first down here with a 90...).

Over the years I've lost an occasional injector (all but one under warranty) but have never heard of multiple injector failures before.... I'll be glad to hear how your's works out...
__________________
Tight Lines
Capt Bob LeMay
(954) 435-5666
lemaymiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 AM
  #5    
Admirals Club Captains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 17,553
Default

I would agree with the above post. I have had 4 E-Tec 250s. Had a pair of 2005 250's on my last boat and I have a pair of 2007 250's on my current boat.

On my 2005 E-Tecs I put over 2500 hours and had one injector fail at the 1000 hour mark, it was replaced under warranty promptly.

I have 700 hours on my current pair and no injector issues. It is believed the one injector that did fail was a result of using ethanol gas for the first time as it happened instantly after using ethanol gas for the first time. And I did so by mixing 75 gallons of ethanol gas with 75 gallons of regular gas.

That said, I have 6500+ cumulative hours over 4 different engines and only one bad injector out of 24. So if there was some injector epidemic on pre 2008 engines it certainly didn't affect me.
__________________

www.CoastalNightLights.com
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 AM
  #6    
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabber5010 View Post
I noticed that all the threads on this subject had ceased after 2011 so I figured I would start a new thread on the Etec injector senario.
I am hoping that the reason no threads after 2011 is that installing new injectors solved all the problems?
I have a 2008 - 225 Etec with 245 hours that stopped running last fall. Took to shop and had shorted #1 & 2 injectors which shut the engine completely down. BRP as a precaution installed a new EMM under warranty. Got boat back in February and did not run it until April. Less than 20 hours the #4 injector went out with an open code. As a precaution to eliminate the bad fuel possibility I drained all the gas from the tank, replaced the on boat water seperator cartdridge, the moter fuel fuel filter and all 6 spark plugs. (yes I did index them) Also use XD100 oil.
Let me also mention that I do not use ethenol fuel. I use 87 octain reg fuel.
Ran boat about 10 hours and went into safe mode again? Took to shop and they replaced injectors 3 & 6 which showed shorted code. Tech said injector #5 was not passing the static test with flying colors and recomended replacing.

So now I have 6 new injectors which all ahave a manufacture date of 2013.
All the old injectors were all manufactured in 2008.
All the bad injectors were clean as a whitsle with no corrosion and no signs of water?
4 of the 6 replaced injectors failed due to short, 1 with open code and 1 with bad static reading.

My question is to all the old posters who had problems: Did the problems go away once you got rid of the 2008 manufactured injectors?
I see no new posts for bad injectors on the newer models.

HOPE MY PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED!!!

I love the engine and I am not an Etec basher!
Buy yamaha
__________________
21 ft Pathfinder fusion 2011 250 SHO sold
28 ft hydro sport twin 250
1996 BC 201 pro guide 2007 250 vmax hpdi
Carolina skiff 14 40 hp mercury sold
Hewes 16 bone fisher lappy hull 100 hp yamaha 4 stroke
Tailn_reds1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 AM
  #7    
Admirals Club Captains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 17,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailn_reds1234 View Post
Buy yamaha
I agree, they never break down.

What a wonderfully helpful post.
__________________

www.CoastalNightLights.com
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:19 PM
  #8    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemaymiami View Post
Remember that every E-Tec injector is electronically operated. They're not anything like a standard mechanically pressured injector. If I were to guess, I'd say your injectors were damaged by something EMM or similar related - not fuel at all... What has BRP told you about this problem?

By the way I'm on my third E-Tec 90 and have never run anything other than ethanol laced fuel. The folks I rely on (I'm in commercial service as a full time fishing guide) at Seapower (located in Miami) long ago told me that E-Tecs weren't particularly sensitive to fuels with ethanol as long you kept water out of your fuel system and your fuel lines in good condition - and I've found that to be the case (since 2005 when I was one of the first down here with a 90...).

Over the years I've lost an occasional injector (all but one under warranty) but have never heard of multiple injector failures before.... I'll be glad to hear how your's works out...
That's why BRP put the EMM in under warranty thinking that it was causing the problem since everything else checked out.
So maybe the EMM had already done it's damage to the rest of the injectors since in only 30 hours the other 4 went bad.
Thanks for your input.
crabber5010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:25 PM
  #9    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailn_reds1234 View Post
Buy yamaha
If i wanted a yamaha i would have bought one!
Have friends with Yamahas and no outboard is trouble free.
Had twin hondas before the etec and those were suppose to be one of the best engines on the market. BUT I Had problems with them too?
Life still goes on with or without a running engine!
crabber5010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 AM
  #10    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Falmouth, MA / New York,NY
Posts: 1,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
I agree, they never break down.

What a wonderfully helpful post.
Hey Chris. I PM'ed you
__________________
1995 mako 221
2006 Etec 250
capecodder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM
  #11    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 7,548
Default

I have a 2008 200ho, same block as the 225. Up here is ethanol only. Two injectors were replaced under warranty, and had failed within minutes of each other. I was still able to run the boat and get home, although a bit slower without two cylinders. Never had a problem since.
jobowker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM
  #12    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailn_reds1234 View Post
Buy yamaha
why, so you can get screwed by corrosion issues once the warranty is up?
__________________
I'm not a boater, but I play one on THT.
JoeR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0