The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: If I knew then, what I know now, things would be different!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 PM
  #1    
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 39
Default UPDATE fuel sender float will float in water and regular gas but not in REC-90

My fuel sender will work perfectly in water, and regular gas, but will not float in REC-90 fuel.....What is the deal ? Do they make special floats for non-ethanol fuel? I don't want to buy a new sender if the float will not work in REC-90.....
Attached Images
 

Last edited by martster; 05-30-2013 at 09:08 PM.
martster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM
  #2    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: powhatan va
Posts: 860
Default

Replace it.
__________________
Badfishsportfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-29-2013, 06:37 PM
  #3    
Admirals Club Captains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dania Beach, FL
Posts: 19,060
Default

It's fuel logged. The float is saturated with fuel so it sinks in the gas. but because the gas is lighter than water it floats in water. Time to replace it, strange though, those Wema senders are very good.
__________________


Extended!

It's THT discount time! Now through November THT members get 20% off any order. See this thread for details.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...ount-time.html

www.CoastalNightLights.com
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 PM
  #4    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 6,902
Default

Before replacing , why not try contacting WEMA to explain the float failure on the SSS/SSL sender. Even if it is older than the 3 yr warranty it might be worth finding out if perhaps just the float could be replaced or if a replacement price-break might be offered .

http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/level...l#.Uaa9t77D-po

http://www.wemausa.com/contactus.shtml#.Uaa-lL7D-po

or maybe consider replacing with a no-moving parts Centroid Products calibratable sender?
TTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 AM
  #5    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 563
Default

Do you use stabilizer additive? Although never verified, some people say it coats the float and makes it heavier. Mine never shows over 3/4 full tank even when gas is pouring out the fill cap. That's after replacing with a new sender that was rigged properly. Showed full before i started using additive.
__________________
There's what happens according to THT members.
Then there's what actually happens in the real world.....
lazyboi1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:04 AM
  #6    
Admirals Club
 
mduran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 4,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
It's fuel logged. The float is saturated with fuel so it sinks in the gas. but because the gas is lighter than water it floats in water. Time to replace it, strange though, those Wema senders are very good.
__________________
Stay Thirsty My Friends !
mduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:42 PM
  #7    
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
It's fuel logged. The float is saturated with fuel so it sinks in the gas. but because the gas is lighter than water it floats in water. Time to replace it, strange though, those Wema senders are very good.
So even though it appears to be dry the float has fuel absorbed into it causing it to be heavy in fuel? ... Do you think the non-ethanol fuel may have something to do with it .... Reason i ask is because the sender worked until i switched over from e-10 ... I forgot to mention this in original post
martster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 PM
  #8    
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 39
Default

Hit it with a BUMP!!
martster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 PM
  #9    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 5,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martster View Post
So even though it appears to be dry the float has fuel absorbed into it causing it to be heavy in fuel? ... Do you think the non-ethanol fuel may have something to do with it .... Reason i ask is because the sender worked until i switched over from e-10 ... I forgot to mention this in original post
no
ethanol is the debil.. not non ethanol.
Not sure what caused your issue if you are 100% it is the issue. Did you test it by actually submerging it in the 2 types of gas and watching the float or did you reinstal it and it quit working?
__________________
For God's sake it's an ANTIVENTILATION PLATE!

"CaptTater has not made any friends yet"
Capttater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:56 PM
  #10    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 6,902
Default

Welllll, it's ....possible... . Even though it has (~3.3%?) less energy than gasoline, ethanol weighs a little ( ~8% I think) more per unit volume at the same temp.
So, apparently E10 would have had a slightly higher specific gravity than straight gas and would have had slightly greater buoyancy effect on the float.
Water has greater specific gravity yet , with greater buoyant effect.

But the float should certainly be plenty buoyant in any kind if boat fuel.

Edit: Wait.. your subject line indiccated it floats in straight gas but won't float in just slightly heavier E10 ( Rec 90?), but above you say the issue began when you switched FROM E10:
"Reason I ask is because the sender worked until I switched over from e-10."

That's a little confusing.

I'm not aware of any effect of other additives on the float.

Last edited by TTaxi; 05-30-2013 at 11:20 PM.
TTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 AM
  #11    
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 39
Default

Sorry i worded it wrong it floats in E-10 and water but wont float in rec-90.... The sender worked until i switched over to Rec-90
martster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 AM
  #12    
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capttater View Post
no
ethanol is the debil.. not non ethanol.
Not sure what caused your issue if you are 100% it is the issue. Did you test it by actually submerging it in the 2 types of gas and watching the float or did you reinstal it and it quit working?
I put the float in three different types of fluid and watched the float.... Water=floats....E-10=floats....Rec90=does not float....crazy
martster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:02 AM
  #13    
Admirals Club Captains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dania Beach, FL
Posts: 19,060
Default

I have the same senders in my fuel tanks and I use nothing but non ethanol gas (Rec 90) and the floats work just fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the ethanol laced fuel damaged it in some way.

Mark another bonus for that wonderful thing called ethanol on the board.
__________________


Extended!

It's THT discount time! Now through November THT members get 20% off any order. See this thread for details.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...ount-time.html

www.CoastalNightLights.com
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 PM
  #14    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 6,902
Default

Sorry, as far as I know, we don't have that term Rec 90 up here for marine fuel or at the car pumps. I was thinking it might refer to E10 (90% gas) but apparently it really just refers to straight 90 octane gas with no ethanol.
TTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 PM
  #15    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 12,535
Default

Who coined the term REC 90?

Is this a Florida thing only?

If I find 87 octane rated gasoline at the pump without ethanol is it now called REC 87?
jethro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:35 PM
  #16    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 5,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
Who coined the term REC 90?

Is this a Florida thing only?

If I find 87 octane rated gasoline at the pump without ethanol is it now called REC 87?
I figured it was the exclusion in the law require E10 in cars naming it Recreational fuel. I wish I could find Rec87 vs Rec 90 since my engines don't need 90.
__________________
For God's sake it's an ANTIVENTILATION PLATE!

"CaptTater has not made any friends yet"
Capttater is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0