The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: many a ship at the bottom of the sea had the right of way... and took it...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 AM
  #1    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Default Renken Oldie Classic

So I need some guidance. I am 35 years old and still consider myself young. Or somewhat. But a good friend of mine who I've known for years came to me yesterday and asked if I would be interested in a boat. I am currently looking for either another Stingray 185LX or Yamaha FX Cruiser Waverunner.

He took me to his ex wife's garage. Her house is being foreclosed on and way in the back is a true original 1968 Renken 16ft boat. Her dad bought it in 1968 and passed it down to her in the early 70's and they used it nearly every weekend and back in the late 80's she parked it in the garage and it hasn't moved since.

Folks I have never seen a gloss still left on gelcoat from any boat older than 1990, Heck let alone a 1968 boat, let alone I've never seen a true original 1968 trailer with the tilt system and the old style hitch assembly. As basic as this boat is it sure has a ton of history behind it. Its like back to the future when they find the delorean preserved in the side of the mountain from BTTF 2.

So now I am torn on what to do. I bought it as a gamble at first in the moment but after getting it back to my warehouse and looking over the entire boat its like seeing an unrestored muscle car. The engine turns freely. Heck somehow or another the fuel in the original fuel tanks doesn't even have the varnish smell to it. Original seats, steering wheel you name it. Its crazy.

So what do I do ? Where do I take it ?

Should I try and find someone who would appreciate her and restore her to her once beautiful glory or should I do it myself.

I showed my wife the pictures of it and it was like showing her the picture of an old green refrigerator. She just doesn't' get it.
Attached Images
     
chadc880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 AM
  #2    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Algonac michigan
Posts: 2,338
Default

It's mostly just cosmetic type work on the hull.Clean,buff and wax will probably bring it back.The motor will need to be cleaned,tuned and serviced with new fluids,hoses and waterpump etc.I'd have the seats professionally re done.Repaint the trailer and run the hell out of it on the nice weekends.Someone will offer to buy it or trade up to something closer to what you want.A win/win.
muskamoot is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 AM
  #3    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hartsdale, NY
Posts: 105
Exclamation A treasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamoot View Post
It's mostly just cosmetic type work on the hull.Clean,buff and wax will probably bring it back.The motor will need to be cleaned,tuned and serviced with new fluids,hoses and waterpump etc.I'd have the seats professionally re done.Repaint the trailer and run the hell out of it on the nice weekends.Someone will offer to buy it or trade up to something closer to what you want.A win/win.
If you don't want it, let me know!

I might just come get it if its within a couple thousand miles of me!

Seriously!

M.H.
Mike Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 AM
  #4    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,874
Default Very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

My involvement with the Renkens began actually back before then.
What a great find.
mike carrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM
  #5    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 2,444
Default Nice....

Nice find. My grandfather had this same setup. Use to take me fishing in Pickens SC.

Renken was the largest producer of boats in the world one time, I believe in the 1950's??

tht_rulez:
__________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoendYt_ZJ0

USCG 100 TON MASTER NEAR COASTAL

"Being an ugly woman is like being a man, you are going to have to work." Daniel Tosh

"You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much horsepower!!!"


2012 Sea Fox 220XT SOLD
Yamaha F250B LH
2014 Sea Doo RXP-X with Athena CPU and Modified Ride Plate
#1Stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM
  #6    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Stunna View Post
Nice find. My grandfather had this same setup. Use to take me fishing in Pickens SC.

Renken was the largest producer of boats in the world one time, I believe in the 1950's??

tht_rulez:

I'm wondering who they popped to get that hull.
I'm looking and looking at it but it's just not comming to mind.
mike carrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM
  #7    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horton View Post
If you don't want it, let me know!

I might just come get it if its within a couple thousand miles of me!

Seriously!

M.H.
Located in Greenville SC

More than willing to listen to offers. I did have to fork some cash.
chadc880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 AM
  #8    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike carrigan View Post
I'm wondering who they popped to get that hull.
I'm looking and looking at it but it's just not comming to mind.
Thankfully it's not a Tri hull
chadc880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM
  #9    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 933
Default

I had a trihull Renken bowrider 1970 vintage I used to water ski behind with a 50 H.P. Evinrude on Lake Moultrie when I was in the USAF back in the 70's. That boat brings back memories. Nice find.
__________________


2006, Tiara 3800 Open, 8.3 QSC Cummins
2000, 28' Carolina Classic - Sold
greylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM
  #10    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylion View Post
I had a trihull Renken bowrider 1970 vintage I used to water ski behind with a 50 H.P. Evinrude on Lake Moultrie when I was in the USAF back in the 70's. That boat brings back memories. Nice find.
Yeah same here. Back in the day my dad bought a Renken Tri Hull. It was yellow and white with the Johnson stinger or stringer outboard. We had it in Murrells Inlet SC and took it out in the ocean all the time. Once with a small craft advisory. That day my brother and I nearly lost the boat and our life's. We went out into the open waters towards the main bouye. We got swamped wave after wave. We turned around and headed back. Got to the two jetties and got too close. Wave lifted the boat out of the water onto the rocks. Bad bad day. Finally got the boat off the rocks and headed back to the dock. Boat was half filled with water. Bilge pump going plus bailing out water with cups. Boat was so heavy we couldn't get it to plain.

Oh the memories.
chadc880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM
  #11    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Default

So here is an update via my YouTube video

http://youtu.be/59qXC9-HOFw
Attached Images
 
chadc880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM
  #12    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 278
Default

Google Edward or Freddie Renken, Charleston, SC their family used to build the boats.
baileydog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM
  #13    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc880 View Post
Yeah same here. Back in the day my dad bought a Renken Tri Hull. It was yellow and white with the Johnson stinger or stringer outboard. We had it in Murrells Inlet SC and took it out in the ocean all the time. Once with a small craft advisory. That day my brother and I nearly lost the boat and our life's. We went out into the open waters towards the main bouye. We got swamped wave after wave. We turned around and headed back. Got to the two jetties and got too close. Wave lifted the boat out of the water onto the rocks. Bad bad day. Finally got the boat off the rocks and headed back to the dock. Boat was half filled with water. Bilge pump going plus bailing out water with cups. Boat was so heavy we couldn't get it to plain.

Oh the memories.
We had a tri hull with an 85hp Merc.....one time in the ocean was enough, but it was a great lake boat for tubing, skiing and fishing...very stable...

the old green beauty came out nice.....i think once you run her, you'll get hooked..
maxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM
  #14    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 606
Default

Cool ride. Put a coat of wax on it, clean up that old Evinrude and splash it. (With new gas)
__________________
1985 Boston Whaler Montauk 17
one4uf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:54 AM
  #15    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Default RE: Restoration

Yes,

I just bought some Vertglas yesterday along with the new impeller kit and new fuel line. Going to overhaul the carbs in the next few days and need to look for some seats.

And hopefully within the next month or less the little green machine will be back to her glory.
chadc880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 AM
  #16    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc880 View Post
Thankfully it's not a Tri hull
I recall two tri-hulls they built.
A 15' or so and a 17'.
mike carrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM
  #17    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Default Update

Still trying to get the outboard fully 100%

Just rebuilt the carbs, new starter solenoid and water pump kit.

Any electric shift techs in here. I cannot get it to shift to neutral or reverse. However I hear a small "click" with the engine off with shifting.

Maybe I didn't but the solenoids back in correctly when I installed the water pump ???

Also what is the correct setting for the idle mixture screw on the 1970 60HP 60073b ?

Here is the updated video of the motor progress.


http://youtu.be/iGbDMZDfbXY

chadc880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 AM
  #18    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Default

Wow that is a relief and thank you for y'lls help. This morning I took the lower unit off again and inspected everything very closely. When I assembled it after the water pump replacement when I installed the solenoids back in they would not set in all the way down to the seated area. I gave some pressure and heard a click. Then the solenoids mounted correctly. Not fully understanding how the electric shift actually hydro shift works I thought it was completely mechanical and thought the click was the drive going into gear or something.

What I found was the "click" was the piston coming undone from the plastic piece with the spring around it and the piston getting pushed to the side.

Once I found this I retrieved the piston, put it back in place and carefully put everything back together.

Now all works like a charm.
chadc880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM
  #19    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA & VA
Posts: 734
Default

Love those oldies. I have the 20 ft. version, 1975 all white with a 1976 115 Evenrude. For some reason Renken seems to be a dirty word up here.
__________________
Karl

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0