The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: When I nod my head, you hit it.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2005, 07:49 AM
  #1    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 717
Default STARFIRE BOATS?

I've seen some boats by the brand name of starfire for sale on a few boat sites,and was wondering who makes them and and if they are of good quality.Every one that i saw were true hardtops with glass windows all around and were 24-25 feet.they were listed as 24' fisherman or 25' fisherman. They were all in the 1985-1987 year class.
They look like a very nice beefy boat with lots of freeboard and would seem good for my use for trolling the great lakes.
I did a search for starfire on the net,but couldn,t find anything other than starfire racing boats.Does anyone know who makes these boats and are they still in business.If you can tell me anything about them,good,bad or otherwise i'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks
big easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:17 PM
  #2    
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pompano Beach,Fl
Posts: 35
Default Re: STARFIRE BOATS?

Starfire was based in Oregon and was in production from the mid or
late seventies untill the mid eighties. There was one at a dry stack
marina here in south Fl a few years ago and the owner who purchased it used raved about how well it handled in the seas.

The boat was an inboard outboard with a Mercruiser 260 hp.

Never heard him complain about quality problems and he ran it hard.

Don't know the whereabouts of the boat now as the marina
was razed for condos.

As with any older boat, get it professionaly surveyed. Watch for
stringer and transom delamination and rot. Also, be wary if
the boat is powered by an OMC Cobra stern drive. There was
a recall issue that might not have been completed and the
repairs along with parts for can be quite costly.

Best of luck. Al
7Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-07-2005, 10:46 AM
  #3    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location:
Posts: 1
Default RE: STARFIRE BOATS?

I have a Starfire 245 open cockpit Fisherman. mine is a 1984 model, with a volvo/GM V8 280 sterndrive. the boats were Built in Salt Lake City Utah from approx 1970-1990

The Construction is very Heavy with lots of fore-thought throughout. Two Fish holds Tons of locking storage, It reminds me of the open 24 skipjack. I had looked at a lot of Skipjacks, but just couldn't find one that had been maintained properly

This one came from an Elderly Japanese Man (the original purchaser), Who Gave it lots of TLC. I'll post pics if your intersted in seeing it.


BTW it's for sale as I type, here is the current link @www.craigslist.org

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/71683793.html
plwc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:47 PM
  #4    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Default

didn't look to see how old this thread was but i have a fisherman 245 and love it. mine has been reworked throughout and has a 350 mag. heavy and solid. steep deadrise makes it a lil squirly at speeds above 35 or so. never intended to run that fast with the 260 i don't think. i can achieve around 41 but rarely get in that kinda hurry. a dream to handle at 25. comfy overnight too
bassgasm2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:29 AM
  #5    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassgasm2002 View Post
didn't look to see how old this thread was but i have a fisherman 245 and love it. mine has been reworked throughout and has a 350 mag. heavy and solid. steep deadrise makes it a lil squirly at speeds above 35 or so. never intended to run that fast with the 260 i don't think. i can achieve around 41 but rarely get in that kinda hurry. a dream to handle at 25. comfy overnight too
Good to hear from another Starfire owner. Its hard to find info on these boats. I would like to share my experience with you and any other owners out there.
My boat is a 1986 Starfire Fisherman 245. Bought it last year and had to put a new engine in it. By the time I had the boat fixed it was late in the season so I didn't get to run it much. Very deep V hull rides good but is hard to keep it level running fast and impossible at low speed unless you have one passenger that can move from side to side. Boat had a few docking scratches on it when I got it and now I know why. It's hard to steer at low speed. Is this a common characteristic of deep v hulls?
Overall I really like the boat. I just need to spend more time learning how to run it.
Attached Images
    
Fish Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 AM
  #6    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,658
Default

Starfire was in production until 1992 or 3. They built boats from 17'4' known as a 180 to the 325 Westport which was 33'10" and an 11' beam. The 245 Hardtop Fisherman shown above is by far the most prevalent in the midwest. Clinton Reef Marina in downtown Port Clinton, Ohio was a dealer for 2 or 3 years in the late eighties.
Were considered better than average quality for the year and were a little above average pricing in that era.
I thought the factory was actually in Utah, not Oregon, but I could be wrong--couldn't find it in any of the used boat books.
erie skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:11 AM
  #7    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Posts: 5
Default

You are right. These boats were made in Salt Lake City, Utah. I got the address from some old sales literature.
The literature also said that the hull is made with hand laminated fiberglass, balsa core sandwich and mahogany stringers. Does anyone know what the advantage is to balsa core sandwich?
Fish Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 AM
  #8    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Heads View Post
You are right. These boats were made in Salt Lake City, Utah. I got the address from some old sales literature.
The literature also said that the hull is made with hand laminated fiberglass, balsa core sandwich and mahogany stringers. Does anyone know what the advantage is to balsa core sandwich?
Many companies to this day use balsa core for strength and soft ride---doubt very seriously she had mahogany stringers though, but anything is possible. The drawback to balsa is that if water intrudes into the balsa core, it spreads like a sponge--Sea Ray had a major problem with this not too awful long ago as did others. A surveyor can check that out for you; and any boat that age definitely needs to be surveyed before considering purchase, or at least have a knowledgable fiberglass man look at it for you.
erie skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 AM
  #9    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwc59 View Post
I have a Starfire 245 open cockpit Fisherman. mine is a 1984 model, with a volvo/GM V8 280 sterndrive. the boats were Built in Salt Lake City Utah from approx 1970-1990

The Construction is very Heavy with lots of fore-thought throughout. Two Fish holds Tons of locking storage, It reminds me of the open 24 skipjack. I had looked at a lot of Skipjacks, but just couldn't find one that had been maintained properly

This one came from an Elderly Japanese Man (the original purchaser), Who Gave it lots of TLC. I'll post pics if your intersted in seeing it.


BTW it's for sale as I type, here is the current link @www.craigslist.org

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/71683793.html

No offense intended specifically here but generally why is at the bottom of the posts of the best reviews as the best boat in every way without fault..............almost as an afterthought at the bottom of the post/review....it just happens to always be for sale????
__________________
2000 Grady Sailfish 272 / OX66's / Local Motion II
1983 27 Phoenix / 2005 Merc EFI's / Local Motion (sold)
1962 John Allmand 23 Citation (sold)
1989 Rinker V230 / 4.3 V6 Merc (sold)
1963 Pennyan Lapstrake 17 (sold)
Local Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 AM
  #10    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Birmingham/Orange Beach
Posts: 620
Default

Doesnt matter. This thread is 5 years old. Im sure the OP has already made his decision.
__________________
Jason
Orange Beach, AL
1989 Bertram 33
2005 Cape Horn 19
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 AM
  #11    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Posts: 5
Default

I think it really does have mahogany stringers. Search ebay for "starfire boats". Look at brochure listed for 1987 Starfire Fisherman.
Fish Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
  #12    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 717
Default

I'm the orig.poster and yes,I did buy a boat,although not a Starfire.I Ended up with a 23' 1974 Potter built SeaCraft Tsunami ,that I completely restored over a three year period.I love it
I still like the look of those Starfire's,and it was interesting to see the info on them pop up so many years later.
__________________
74 SeaCraft Tsunami
big easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:11 PM
  #13    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Default

One of these is for sale here in San Diego, I never heard of them so a search led me here. I love the looks and it sounds like the quality is acceptable depending on how well it's been maintaned. Just curious about the head room at the helm, I am 6'-2".

The ad says " 24' Starfire Pilothouse mercruiser 260 hp V-8/ 220 hours
Mercruiser Alpha One outdrive/ 330 hours"

Also has Bennet trim tabs, will this help with the handling?

They are asking $10,500.

My last boat was a '87 Wellcraft 240 Sportsman w/ single 200 Yamaha Saltwater Series OB to give you some idea what I'm used to.

TIA for any info.
Shimano Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:41 AM
  #14    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimano Penn View Post
One of these is for sale here in San Diego, I never heard of them so a search led me here. I love the looks and it sounds like the quality is acceptable depending on how well it's been maintaned. Just curious about the head room at the helm, I am 6'-2".

The ad says " 24' Starfire Pilothouse mercruiser 260 hp V-8/ 220 hours
Mercruiser Alpha One outdrive/ 330 hours"

Also has Bennet trim tabs, will this help with the handling?

They are asking $10,500.

My last boat was a '87 Wellcraft 240 Sportsman w/ single 200 Yamaha Saltwater Series OB to give you some idea what I'm used to.

TIA for any info.
Trim tabs and engine fins help stabalize the boat and bring her to plane faster.
Trim tabs tend to help with the boat leaning as a previous post mentioned about the boats so you wont need a passenger running side to side to balance the boat.

I'm not a boat owner yet, But my family has had many of boats since I was 4. The best ride I've had yet was a boat that had the trim tabs and a 10 foot beam
Findfihsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM
  #15    
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Saucier, MS
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Heads View Post
Good to hear from another Starfire owner. Its hard to find info on these boats. I would like to share my experience with you and any other owners out there.
My boat is a 1986 Starfire Fisherman 245. Bought it last year and had to put a new engine in it. By the time I had the boat fixed it was late in the season so I didn't get to run it much. Very deep V hull rides good but is hard to keep it level running fast and impossible at low speed unless you have one passenger that can move from side to side. Boat had a few docking scratches on it when I got it and now I know why. It's hard to steer at low speed. Is this a common characteristic of deep v hulls?
Overall I really like the boat. I just need to spend more time learning how to run it.
The Starfire looks great. I recently bought an '87 Starfire New Yorker 215. I also live on the MS Coast (Saucier area).
I do not know much about boats but my father in law came by (many years around boats) and referred to it as a tank (in a good way). The Mercruiser AlphaOne 260 is strong and while I have not had it over 30, my buddy I bought the boat from had it running around 40 coming through the channel in Big Lake. The trim tabs are great for bringing it up on plane quickly and is an awesome cruiser at 25-30.

Looking for more information on the boat as well (especially diagrams, etc) as I am getting ready to undertake some minor projects over the winter
damion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:56 AM
  #16    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Default Starfire Boats-The best you can buy

My ex-husband, Gil Freedman, was the owner and creator of Starfire Boats in Salt Lake City, Utah, until the company fell on economic hard times and declared bankruptcy. All of the assets were seized by the SBA and sold for pennies on the dollar. A very sad day. The employees of the company worked there, many of them for over 20 years, lost their jobs and the boating industry felt a void.

The company built high-end hand crafted quality boats from 15'6" to 32'5". These boats were solid, Deep-Vee hulls with mahogany stringers. Their construction was quality that lasts and you can see in the boats that are still around today.

You will never have to question the quality of a Starfire Boat. To all of you Starfire Boat owners, congratulations on having the best in the class!
appreski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 AM
  #17    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Starfire Boats were manufactured in Salt Lake City, Utah. A qualiy product!
appreski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:29 PM
  #18    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1
Default I have to laugh

My parents bought a 1972 starfire when i was 13. It was a tank. It is overbuilt and weighed too much. Believe me, you can overbuild a boat and this thing was a lug. It was 22' cuddy. Very very nice boat but wouldn't perform. The lady who claims she was the owner's wife is in fact confirmed by me. We visited the manufacturing facility just off of 600 south and about 500 west in Salt Lake City before the boat was purchased. And.... yes i remember the owner's name (Gil). due to the underpowered nature of the boat, they attempted to put high powered chevy's with jacuzzi jet drives in them. DON'T BUY ONE OF THOSE!!! At the time, there weren't outdrives to handle the big engines so they put in these POS jacuzzi jet drives. These would cavitate (spin air) horribly when you accelerated. I rode in two that did the same thing. don't plan on skiing behind one either....
more_air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:22 PM
  #19    
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Saucier, MS
Posts: 50
Default

I am not sure on the year you are referring to, but the 87 Cuddy I had (just sold it and bought a Grady White) seemed well powered. This was also a 22' and it was a tank, but the 305 I/O provided solid power and reasonable fuel consumption. Top end on it was around 45-50mph but well within my level of acceptance for a boat of that size. The hole shot was excellent and the trim tabs would put it up on plane quickly and would ride on plane at about 10-12 mph.

I liked the boat but opted to get rid of it for a smaller 19' Grady Tournament which suits my fishing needs much better - and the wife is okay with it as well :-)
damion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:37 AM
  #20    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Weymouth, Ma.
Posts: 1,294
Default

I recently sold my Starfire 325 Westport that I owned for 10 years. It had 260 HP Merc small blocks with remote Walter V drives. Fantastic boat, handled like a dream and was good on fuel ( 1.2 NMPG) verified with flow meter. Huge interior layout for it's size, mid cabin was 60" wide X 80" deep. Put 600 plus hours on her and traveled from Boston Harbor to Potsmouth, NH and as far South as Block Island.

Buyers surveyor said had never seen a 20 year old boat the was designed as well or ran and and handled as well. Going to visit her with the "new" boat (1986 Sea Ray 390) this weekend. Hope the Sea Ray treats me as well the Starfire.
hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skeeter starfire bassboat mariner 115. New Price 1500 jwbryce Boats For Sale and Wanted 4 04-12-2007 06:29 PM
Bristol Harbor Boats - a new line of downeast fishing boats in RI Jamie M The Boating Forum 2 10-18-2006 02:37 PM
1989 26' Starfire Westport 265 Owners manual needed duggan12 The Boating Forum 0 05-24-2005 03:29 PM
Need to find out if ProKat 2660CC boats are good boats. How is the ride and so on. fisherkh The Boating Forum 2 08-25-2004 11:36 AM
Helms Boats - Helmsmen Marine, Sarasota - Nice looking boats for price. Comments? bswivel The Boating Forum 0 08-05-2004 08:55 AM

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0