The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: If it were an easy fix I'd have done it myself!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 AM
  #1    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: L.E.H. New Jersey
Posts: 424
Default Modern outboard fuel economy ?

Am I the only person who is not so impressed with the fuel economy of the latest generation of outboard engines ?

Ive a 23 Regulator with twin 150 HPDIs. They are 10 year old engines , with well over 1000 hours , and I consistently see 2.2 to 2.4 mpg while running. Over an entire offshore trip , I average 1.6 to 1.9 , depending on how much I troll , or keep the engines running.

With the hours on my engines , Ive " shopped " for their replacement when the time comes. Not listening to salesperson propoganda , but looking at this site , and speaking to people at the local marina , I havent been blown away with the numbers people are really seeing.

There was a 23 Seacraft with twin 175 Etecs in the " boats for sale ", that averaged 1.7 according to the owner. I know the Seacraft is a more fuel efficient hull then the Regulator , and the WOT speed isnt any better.

Ive also spoke with people who have the same boat with brand new F150s , whos economy is no better then the Seacraft I just mentioned.

My good friend owns a 23 Seacraft with a DF250 and his running economy is right at 2.5 mpg. Again the Seacraft is a more fuel efficient boat , and Id assume the single engine would use less gas then a dual engine boat.

Lastly , My friend just repowered his 23 Contender Open with a Verado 275 and his mpg seems marginally better then his old OX66 250.

I know the new engines are nice. They start easier , are quieter , and smoke alot less , but everytime I flip through a fishing magazine , engine manufacturers are touting the great fuel economy of their latest engines i wonder how much of it is BS.
__________________

23 REGULATOR 150 HPDIs
hudiefloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:20 AM
  #2    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 7,522
Default

Your 150 HPDI is very fuel efficient, in fact I'd guess they could have been some of the most fuel efficient motors avail 10 years ago.

Now everything else is just as efficient. They are all a huge step up from conventional 2 strokes at low speeds.
__________________
Cape Horn 31
Flot is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 AM
  #3    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY & NC
Posts: 4,871
Default

I recently re-powered and the fuel burn, cruising at 30 mph, turning around 3500 rpm, was 6 gph. The old motor would burn about 12-15 gph. The new motor, according to the math offers 5 mpg! If this were my truck, I would be looking for a hole in my fuel tank, but for a boat, that's pretty good.
__________________
1998 Grady-White 192 Tournament
2012 Evinrude Etec 200 hp

1988 Boston Whaler 11' Super Sport
1987 Johnson 15 hp

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent
my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years. -- Mark Twain
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Ben Franklin
HarleyFLHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:08 AM
  #4    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 4,613
Default

The modern outboard age started with the DFI and larger Four Strokes from say 1998 to present. When you compare one of these modern outboards against a carb or EFI from before 1998 is where you see the huge increase. Comparing an outboard produced today against say a DFI/Four Stroke from 8-10 years ago will show little if any increase.

The next leap in fuel economy will when outboard manufacturers are mandated to meet 4 star emissions in 5-7 years.
captbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM
  #5    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: L.E.H. New Jersey
Posts: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbone View Post
The modern outboard age started with the DFI and larger Four Strokes from say 1998 to present. When you compare one of these modern outboards against a carb or EFI from before 1998 is where you see the huge increase. Comparing an outboard produced today against say a DFI/Four Stroke from 8-10 years ago will show little if any increase.

The next leap in fuel economy will when outboard manufacturers are mandated to meet 4 star emissions in 5-7 years.

Thank you for that explanation.

I would point out that my early HPDIs are 2 star emission compliant though. Although I dont question your knowledge , I wonder how big the next "leap" in fuel economy will be.
__________________

23 REGULATOR 150 HPDIs
hudiefloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 AM
  #6    
Admirals Club Captains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 5,184
Default

I think the next leap will be HPDI 4 stroke motors.
__________________
ken2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 AM
  #7    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudiefloats View Post
Am I the only person who is not so impressed with the fuel economy of the latest generation of outboard engines ?

Ive a 23 Regulator with twin 150 HPDIs. They are 10 year old engines , with well over 1000 hours , and I consistently see 2.2 to 2.4 mpg while running. Over an entire offshore trip , I average 1.6 to 1.9 , depending on how much I troll , or keep the engines running.

With the hours on my engines , Ive " shopped " for their replacement when the time comes. Not listening to salesperson propoganda , but looking at this site , and speaking to people at the local marina , I havent been blown away with the numbers people are really seeing.

There was a 23 Seacraft with twin 175 Etecs in the " boats for sale ", that averaged 1.7 according to the owner. I know the Seacraft is a more fuel efficient hull then the Regulator , and the WOT speed isnt any better.

Ive also spoke with people who have the same boat with brand new F150s , whos economy is no better then the Seacraft I just mentioned.

My good friend owns a 23 Seacraft with a DF250 and his running economy is right at 2.5 mpg. Again the Seacraft is a more fuel efficient boat , and Id assume the single engine would use less gas then a dual engine boat.

Lastly , My friend just repowered his 23 Contender Open with a Verado 275 and his mpg seems marginally better then his old OX66 250.

I know the new engines are nice. They start easier , are quieter , and smoke alot less , but everytime I flip through a fishing magazine , engine manufacturers are touting the great fuel economy of their latest engines i wonder how much of it is BS.

I just ran a Parker 2820 XL with 2 F250's and according to the gauges we're seeing numbers very close to your boat with 150 HPDI's. We read the performance #'s on line and were skeptical, when we ran the boat for the first time the light load numbers were almost spot on. On the first trip with 6 guys, gear and 1/2 a tank of fuel we were seeing about 1.5-1.6 at cruise speed. I've tested 3 other Yamaha 4 stroke powered boats and found the numbers very close as well. Some people I've dealt with in the past have no idea how to dial in the optimal performance on a boat. It sounds like you've been talking to some of those people.
bms1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 AM
  #8    
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 77
Default

I have two boats. One with a 99 6 cyl 150 suzuki dfi and one with an 06 150 suzuki four stroke. I was going to sell my boat motor package and swap engines keeping the the dfi is on. After comparing notes there is basically no fuel difference between the two.
buzzcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 AM
  #9    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Raleigh & Surf City, NC
Posts: 9,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudiefloats View Post
Am I the only person who is not so impressed with the fuel economy of the latest generation of outboard engines ?

No

I am, however, impressed with the numbers I get: 7gph/3400rpm's/25mph on my 28'er. I figure I use half the fuel of other similarly sized boats. I know, I know, they are doing 50mph, ok. I don't care for wind burn either. This past Friday we were out from 6:15am til 3:30pm and never cut the engine off. We got as far as 23 miles offshore.

We burned 21 gallons that day.
__________________

*1981 Master Marine GoodGo 28*
Mercruiser 6.2L mpi 320hp/Bravo 1

Due to the high cost of ammo NO warning shots fired
baypro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
  #10    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Davie / Islamorada
Posts: 9,005
Default

Reliability 1st..... Fuel Consumption 2nd.......

At least for me that is.....
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 AM
  #11    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,193
Default

You won't see much of a fuel burn decrease if you're running hard. Where these new motors save is at low speeds like trolling and idle.
__________________
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
VanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 AM
  #12    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cooper City, FL
Posts: 498
Default

For the price that ppl pay for a new boat or motor shows they have no need to worry about fuel prices.

I have a differant situation, cost matters. When i have to, I will try and get some 150 yammmies from the islands. Carbed motors, very basic with less issues. Ive been running 150's since 1989, one motor went 5k hours with no issues. If something breaks i can usually fix it so I stick with it. One trip to the mechanic can eat up that fuel savings for a few years, so is it worth it? Once a motor stars giving too many issues i will can it, till then keep going...
__________________
The boat is just a tool that takes you to the fish...
Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 AM
  #13    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 1,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2 View Post
I think the next leap will be HPDI 4 stroke motors.
Yep- GDi- gas direct injection- infinitely variable ignition and injection timing, widely variable valve timing, maybe a tiny scroll turbo/supercharger- multi-fuel, you name it-

Randy
__________________


**************
2002 36' Contender trip Vrods **SOLD**
1997 Blackfin 38' Combi TAMD122P Volvos 600 hp **SOLD**
1998 Century 2201 Bay, C150 Yamaha 2 strokes, 3 carburetors, 0 oil injection pumps!! **SOLD**
1984 GW Tournament 192, 200 Yamaha*SOLD*
38Blackfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 AM
  #14    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,715
Default

My 2012 70 Yamaha is running about 1.2 GPH average overall (total fuel burned over total hours) for 145 hours.
gfretwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 AM
  #15    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: south of Boston
Posts: 3,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudiefloats View Post
Thank you for that explanation.

I would point out that my early HPDIs are 2 star emission compliant though. Although I dont question your knowledge , I wonder how big the next "leap" in fuel economy will be.
Fuel economy works in 2 directions, you are looking at efficiency in fuel burn.

The other way to look at it is the cost of fuel,
when the idiots at the EPA are shown the door, the price of fuel will drop. Recently, enough oil has been discovered in the midwest shale fields, and new means of extracting it, to last 300 yrs. The "Idiot" refused to sign off on the new pipeline to get it efficiently to the refineries , so the drillers have just rented 1000 oil tankers from the train companies to get it to the refineries. Read the Wall Street Journal, it may just affect the next outboard you choose, the bleeding edge of outboard technology isn't always the best place to be.
__________________
Sorry, I don't answer engine questions privately.
Keep them on the board so we can all learn.

Evinrude factory repair manuals.
http://stores.ebay.com/SEARAYMAN13/E...=p4634.c0.m322
(not mine)
jonesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 AM
  #16    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S/W FL
Posts: 575
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretwell View Post
My 2012 70 Yamaha is running about 1.2 GPH average overall (total fuel burned over total hours) for 145 hours.


Yeah.... But its on a old Sanford & Son pontoon running maybe 15-20 mph at the most. Were talking about real boats here.

Rascal
Rascal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM
  #17    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY & NC
Posts: 4,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal1 View Post
Yeah.... But its on a old Sanford & Son pontoon running maybe 15-20 mph at the most. Were talking about real boats here.

Rascal
__________________
1998 Grady-White 192 Tournament
2012 Evinrude Etec 200 hp

1988 Boston Whaler 11' Super Sport
1987 Johnson 15 hp

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent
my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years. -- Mark Twain
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Ben Franklin
HarleyFLHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 AM
  #18    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toledo, Oh
Posts: 223
Default

Instead of Gallons per Hour.......Lets focus on Dollars per Gallon!

Drill Baby Drill
Drew S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 PM
  #19    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,235
Default

There isn't that many out there yet, but some of the latest Suzuki and Honda 'lean burn' engines appear to have made a noticeable step improvement in fuel burn. There are a couple of threads on here and some others on another forum where owners seem to be reporting quite significant ~15% - 20% real world fuel burn improvements over earlier gen 4 strokes.
Aliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:34 PM
  #20    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,435
Default

I think the next big leap is already here and its not availble to the public, military only. Mercury has an optimax that runs on jet fuel that is 40% more efficient than the gas powered opti. Thats HUGE!!! But its military only. That motor can be easily tweaked to run on diesel for very similar efficiency levels.
__________________


100 Ton Master
Commercial Towing Endorsement

My underwater lights and LED spreaders are from Scarabchris and they are terrific. SUPER BRIGHT and Highly reccomended! See my sig pic!!!

My floor was coated by Line-X of Sarasota. Great product applied by a great owner/operator. PM me for pictures and details.
EODContender is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0