The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: Manatee..... Its what for dinner!!!!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2012, 02:58 AM
  #1    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,455
Default barrier coat and bottom paint

just about done stripping the bottom and then time to barrier coat and paint. any secrets to apply the barrier coat?how many coats should i use, how long is the drying time between coats?how much time between the barrier coat and the bottom paint? is 1 brand better than the other? thanks
total mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 AM
  #2    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,460
Default

Follow all the instructions for the products being applied. I have been very happy w/ the Pettit products I've used on my boat.
__________________
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 AM
  #3    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Raleigh & Surf City, NC
Posts: 9,885
Default

At least 2 coats of barrier. I started with a large roller with short nap, the type you use to paint interior house walls. This left a rough yet smooth finish. (there's an oxymoron). I switched over to a foam roller and liked the results better. My bottom is now like a smooth orange peel.

The rest depends on the type of bottom paint. I used Interlux 2000e barrier paint. I paid $400-$500 for paint and supplies.

I trailer store so I switched over to a hard epoxy bottom paint (VC Performance Epoxy). I've got a minimum of 2 finish coats but some areas probably have 3 coats where I was getting the finish good at the very visible front side bow areas.

__________________

*1981 Master Marine GoodGo 28*
Mercruiser 6.2L mpi 320hp/Bravo 1

Due to the high cost of ammo NO warning shots fired
baypro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 AM
  #4    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: waretown nj
Posts: 356
Default

go with pettit any ? just call them very good
mrdonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 AM
  #5    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cape may nj
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by total mayhem View Post
just about done stripping the bottom and then time to barrier coat and paint. any secrets to apply the barrier coat?how many coats should i use, how long is the drying time between coats?how much time between the barrier coat and the bottom paint? is 1 brand better than the other? thanks

here's a few good tips:

use interprotect 2000 - get both white and grey - alternate colors - this assures full coverage...

the epoxy barrier coat should be 10mils thick,use a matchbook cover as a guide...number of coats means nothing - it's thickness,the reason for the different colors - assures full coverage...

blocks: tape off about an inch around where the blocks are,after the barrier kicks - tape off for paint,leaving a large strip of unpainted epoxy - this way,it's easier to blend into the spots under the blocks...

use the "tell coat method"
__________________
don't let common sense get in your way...
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:13 AM
  #6    
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sailfish Capital. Snook fishing ain't bad either
Posts: 3,701
Default

You will get all the info you need on the right product, prep and application directly from the manufacturers by calling their toll-free help line and talking directly with a company tech.

It's free, so take advantage of it.
__________________

25' Sea Vee
20' Hewes Light Tackle
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
  #7    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,232
Default

Petit and Interlux are both fine products. Follow their directions to the "T" for this project or you will have an expensive mess on your hands.
Pursuit2470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM
  #8    
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 594
Default

Seahawk Tuff Stuff epoxy primer/ Seahawk Cukote or Tropikote bottom paint. 1-2 coats of barrier and 2 coats of bottom paint. Best stuff on the market and the best results I've ever seen. 100% American unlike Interlux or Pettit

-Brad
josh perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 AM
  #9    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 5,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
You will get all the info you need on the right product, prep and application directly from the manufacturers by calling their toll-free help line and talking directly with a company tech.

It's free, so take advantage of it.
That's the best advice.
__________________
Assault Squadron NINE
River Assault Division NINETY-ONE-1966
Thalasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
  #10    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 7,972
Default

You could always just skip it. I've never had a boat with a barrier coat, only bottom paint. Over twenty years of keeping my boat in the water all season, and never had a blister. Maybe I need to buy one of those top tier boats before this becomes a problem? shouldn't boats be designed to be placed in water?
jobowker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM
  #11    
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobowker View Post
You could always just skip it. I've never had a boat with a barrier coat, only bottom paint. Over twenty years of keeping my boat in the water all season, and never had a blister. Maybe I need to buy one of those top tier boats before this becomes a problem? shouldn't boats be designed to be placed in water?
I'm with you on the barrier coat subject, the only problem now days is that boat builders esspecially the low-end production ones "polar, key west, ect..." are using such $hitty gel-coats that w/o barrier coats and a proper sand/ prep job you'll end up with "a lot" of blisters that are impossible to solve or catch unless the whole bottom is stripped (BIG $$$$). The bottom line is that the gel-coats/ paints lift under the bottom paint and start peeling so a solid barrier coat will prevent this from happening.

Hope this little bit of info helps, I hate to see people spend their money on something to do it themselves and ends up costing them twice/ triple as much down the road for me to correct a problem (I see it all the time). Spend a couple more hundred dollars and get a good barrier coat (Seahawk Tuff Stuff). Check out my bottom paint jobs under the Carolina's region, should be the second page.

-Brad
josh perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:07 PM
  #12    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cape may nj
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh perry View Post
I'm with you on the barrier coat subject, the only problem now days is that boat builders esspecially the low-end production ones "polar, key west, ect..." are using such $hitty gel-coats that w/o barrier coats and a proper sand/ prep job you'll end up with "a lot" of blisters that are impossible to solve or catch unless the whole bottom is stripped (BIG $$$$). The bottom line is that the gel-coats/ paints lift under the bottom paint and start peeling so a solid barrier coat will prevent this from happening.

Hope this little bit of info helps, I hate to see people spend their money on something to do it themselves and ends up costing them twice/ triple as much down the road for me to correct a problem (I see it all the time). Spend a couple more hundred dollars and get a good barrier coat (Seahawk Tuff Stuff). Check out my bottom paint jobs under the Carolina's region, should be the second page.


-Brad
hold on there !

before anything goes on the bottom - the bottom needs to be dewaxed - that's first thing,then,it really should be "scuff sanded" - if these steps are followed,nothing's peeling off.skip those steps,and you got trouble...

barrier coat for it to be an effective barrier,it needs to be a proper thickness - again,number of coats means nothing - thickness counts...
barrier coat,not the correct thickness is just a very expensive primer...
alternating colors is the best way to assure proper coverage...

i've lost count of the boat's i've corrected,due to bad prep from the beginning !


the pictures - take a good look at them - this is the incorrect way to apply anything to a hull's bottom.note the shiny clean gel coat ? bad prep ! this will all be peeling off,in short order !
Attached Images
   
__________________
don't let common sense get in your way...
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:33 PM
  #13    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,455
Default

thanks for the replies. the boats has been sanded with 80 grit to get the previous paint off so there is no wax left. going with the barrier coat even though i could get away with not doing it. my plan was to do 2 coats barrier then 2 coats of bottom paint. just wantedto get some opinions
total mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 PM
  #14    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by total mayhem View Post
thanks for the replies. the boats has been sanded with 80 grit to get the previous paint off so there is no wax left. going with the barrier coat even though i could get away with not doing it. my plan was to do 2 coats barrier then 2 coats of bottom paint. just wantedto get some opinions
What does the manufacturer's instructions say?
__________________
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM
  #15    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 5,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
What does the manufacturer's instructions say?
My guess is the Manuf. says to primer the bottom after barrier coat
__________________
Assault Squadron NINE
River Assault Division NINETY-ONE-1966
Thalasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 AM
  #16    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by total mayhem View Post
thanks for the replies. the boats has been sanded with 80 grit to get the previous paint off so there is no wax left. going with the barrier coat even though i could get away with not doing it. my plan was to do 2 coats barrier then 2 coats of bottom paint. just wantedto get some opinions
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
What does the manufacturer's instructions say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalasso View Post
My guess is the Manuf. says to primer the bottom after barrier coat
That would be an incorrect guess.

Here is the manufacturer's instruction sheet for Pettit Protect 4700/4701, listing all the applicable information for the product.
__________________
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0