The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: Junior, when we get home, I'm gonna punch your mmoma right in the mouth Sheriff Beuford T Justice Smokey and the Bandit
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 AM
  #1    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Default Too much fogging oil

I was hoping someone knew if it can be damaging to use too much fogging oil. This winter was my first year winterizing my Johnson 2stroke 150 ocean pro outboard myself. I just fired it up yesterday and it didn't seem to clear all the fogging oil out. I ran it for 15 minutes and it still wouldn't idle without stalling. There is a bunch of gunky oil coming out of the lower unit exhaust also. Thanks for your help.
Kgulino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:04 AM
  #2    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 5,105
Default

It can only run out of it until it's gone. Can't take too long.You changed the plugs already?
__________________
For God's sake it's an ANTIVENTILATION PLATE!

"CaptTater has not made any friends yet"
Capttater is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 AM
  #3    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
Posts: 756
Default

i have the same engine. i have to drive it at wot for 20 minutes to clear everything. running on muffs doesnt work. actually thats common to my other outboards as well
__________________
278CC Dusky w/ 175hp Rude FICHTs (300hrs)
22WA Legacy 150 Johnson - SOLD 2014
17CC Capecraft 90 Mercury - SOLD 2013
sultany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 AM
  #4    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Default

So you are saying I need to run it under load? It stalls as soon as I get close to neutral. I do t think I would even be able to back it off my trailer?
Kgulino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 AM
  #5    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Also I did change my plugs which I am sure are fouled now!
Kgulino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 AM
  #6    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 15,725
Default

You will be fine - so some WOT operation then change/clean the plugs if needed - hi speed operation alone may do the trick). Next year do not change the plugs till after you blew out all the oil in the spring . This is normal. Happy Boating!
__________________
1st Cav Div Air Assault Infantry RVN
-Can Do........ and .......Carry On -
LI Sound Grunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 AM
  #7    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: RI
Posts: 4,065
Default

pull your plugs and clean them then hit the ends with a blow torch to burn off any cleaner / remainder fogging oil.
BACKTOTHESEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 AM
  #8    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Default

So are you saying wide open throttle just revving it, or get out on the water if I can and open it up? Thanks for your quick responses.
Kgulino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 AM
  #9    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Baltimore,Maryland
Posts: 2,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgulino33 View Post
So are you saying wide open throttle just revving it, or get out on the water if I can and open it up? Thanks for your quick responses.


Do NOT Rev it up to WOT in neutral!! Not good for the Engine and you may suck a Reed thru the Engine and damage it..
Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:36 AM
  #10    
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location:
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgulino33 View Post
I was hoping someone knew if it can be damaging to use too much fogging oil. This winter was my first year winterizing my Johnson 2stroke 150 ocean pro outboard myself. I just fired it up yesterday and it didn't seem to clear all the fogging oil out. I ran it for 15 minutes and it still wouldn't idle without stalling. There is a bunch of gunky oil coming out of the lower unit exhaust also. Thanks for your help.
No you can't put in too much fogging oil. Unless you track it into your house on your shoes. However, after you burn off what in your cylinders, take out the plugs, spray them down with something that will soften the carbon, like Deep Creep, brush them off with a wire brush, and re-gap them. Problem solved. And call the fire dept and tell them you're not really on fire. It's completely normal to find the excess oil dripping down and accumlulating on your garage floor.

Last edited by hotajax; 04-29-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: The voices told me to do it.
hotajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 AM
  #11    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mystic Island NJ
Posts: 218
Default

Drain the carbs. They load up with 2 stroke oil from sitting all winter. We see this all the time.
__________________
Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilot House. USCG Licensed Captain
1983 Wenzel 14' skiff 63 18hp Rude
1985 SeaRay 260DA 260 Merc Alpha 1
Capt.Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 AM
  #12    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
Posts: 756
Default

dont rev. take it out on a nice day and push it.
__________________
278CC Dusky w/ 175hp Rude FICHTs (300hrs)
22WA Legacy 150 Johnson - SOLD 2014
17CC Capecraft 90 Mercury - SOLD 2013
sultany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 AM
  #13    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: with my family of course
Posts: 1,958
Default

Pulled this off another website
Air and gas are compressable and fogging oil is not. If you fill the cylinders with too much oil, the engine can not start. It is also possible to cause engine damage.

I pull the plugs for the winter and spray oil in each cylinder. I leave the plugs loose until spring and crank the engine w/o plugs to get any excess oil out. Sometimes Ill respray the oil into the cylinder to make sure everything is coated before the cylinder moves for the first time.
Mine Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 AM
  #14    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Now View Post
Pulled this off another website
Air and gas are compressable and fogging oil is not. If you fill the cylinders with too much oil, the engine can not start. It is also possible to cause engine damage.

I pull the plugs for the winter and spray oil in each cylinder. I leave the plugs loose until spring and crank the engine w/o plugs to get any excess oil out. Sometimes Ill respray the oil into the cylinder to make sure everything is coated before the cylinder moves for the first time.
Much less likely with 2 strokes. After fogging, I usually rotate the motor crank by hand to distribute the fogging oil. If you can rotate by hand, it is not loaded up ( hydraulic lock).
I second the recommendation to not change plugs or filters until after spring start-up. You need to burn off the oils first.
If you hae crap in the fule or lines, there is no sence to contaminated a new filter. Run the motor, check for contamination and if all is good install new filters.

There are differing opinions on the "can't use too much fogging oil" theory for motors with O2 sensors. I don't go nuts especially with cylinder #1 wchich has my O2 sensor connection. I don't want the sensor to sit in fogging oil all winter. Is it bad? I really don't know and I don't want to find out.
lostsinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 AM
  #15    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 1,817
Default

I assume that's a VRO, in which case, it's pushing oil at a higher rate at idle, so the combination of fogging oil & 2 stroke oil being pumped (or premix left in the carbs), prolly is causing the oil drool situation.

As was pointed out, I bet it was a smoke show like no other when they were running in the garage.......
pgkeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 AM
  #16    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Default Antifogging Oil

Hello,

I used to put too much anti-fogging oil in my boats and they seemed to burn it off most of the day and yes sometimes wouldn't idle. If you can try to run your boat to burn up some of the gas and put fresh gasoline to replace it and it should thin it out. I seriously doubt that you hurt your motor!

Paul
pkosower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:15 PM
  #17    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsinker View Post
Much less likely with 2 strokes. After fogging, I usually rotate the motor crank by hand to distribute the fogging oil. If you can rotate by hand, it is not loaded up ( hydraulic lock).
I second the recommendation to not change plugs or filters until after spring start-up. You need to burn off the oils first.
If you hae crap in the fule or lines, there is no sence to contaminated a new filter. Run the motor, check for contamination and if all is good install new filters.

There are differing opinions on the "can't use too much fogging oil" theory for motors with O2 sensors. I don't go nuts especially with cylinder #1 wchich has my O2 sensor connection. I don't want the sensor to sit in fogging oil all winter. Is it bad? I really don't know and I don't want to find out.
I forgot to mention an important detail: I do not fog through the throttle body with the motor running. Instead, I remove all the plugs, spray each cylinder, rotate the flywheel half a turn, re fog each cylinder, rotate another half tuen and then reinstall the plugs.
lostsinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:22 PM
  #18    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: englewood, florida
Posts: 2,961
Default

how did you winterize the fuel system...you may be having trouble with that also...was the fuel stabilized?...was the engine run out of fuel or stored with fuel in the carbs?...

fogging the cylinders the way you did is fine...it wouldnt hurt to crank the engine over after you do it to get the oil distributed evenly around the entire cylinder...there is no need to leave plugs loose after fogging...if the engine is cranked any excess will be removed from the cylinders...if you put enough in to cause a hydrostatic lock you probably shouldnt be doing your own maintenance...the advantage of fogging through the throttle plates is that the entire intake tract is protected from corrosion...
__________________
86 Tiara Pursuit 2200 Cuddy
97 Mercury 225 EFI Saltwater
bladenbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 PM
  #19    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mystic Island NJ
Posts: 218
Default

As I said, pull the drain screws out of the top 4 carbs 1 at a time. The bottom 2 are tuff to get at with out a improvised tool. Sqeeze the primer ball til almost clear fuel comes out. Re-install the drain screws, prime it up and hit the key. This is a normal routine for me done hundreds of times during Spring Commisioning.
__________________
Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilot House. USCG Licensed Captain
1983 Wenzel 14' skiff 63 18hp Rude
1985 SeaRay 260DA 260 Merc Alpha 1
Capt.Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:40 PM
  #20    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Default

My motor turned over and ran, but it was bogging down. Once it went under 2000 rpm's it would stall out. What is hudrostatic lock? As for doing my own maintenance I didn't use an insane amount. I felt that I followed what the mechanics did the year before. I think I might have over done it when I removed the spark plugs after fogging and shot more into the cylinders.
Kgulino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0