The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: my boat is the safe where i store my money...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM
  #1    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,480
Default Sea Hunt or Tide Water????

All,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 22 to 24ft CC.. My budget is roughly 50k and these are my top 2 choices.

I can get the Sea hunt 24' Triton for around 50k and that includes a 250 Yamaha, hard top, trailer, Sirus radio, trim tabs, and all of the other minor things.

I can also get the Tidewater 23 for around 50k, with a 250 Yamaha, hard top, Trim tabs, NO trailer, NO Sirus Radio..

Anyone care to chime in on their experiences either with these boats or others in this class and price range?

Thanks,
__________________
Former Owner of TT
Terminator Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM
  #2    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Charlotte Harbor, Fl.
Posts: 1,769
Default

Took delivery of my Sea Hunnt three weeks ago...after researching, seeing and sea trialing the Sea Hunt vs the TideWater. Both good boats, I just preferred the Sea Hunt, seemed to ride drier and I got more boat for the money. Not the models your looking at at but I compared the like models for the oat I wanted to buy.
__________________
reelyreely is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM
  #3    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 7,527
Default

I have no idea why Sea Hunt would opt for an 18 degree deadrise on a 24' boat. That's bay boat deadrise. I have not seen the boats side by side, but the Tidewater looks to have higher sides and more bow flare. It has a 20 degree V. To me it has more visually appealing lines. I owned a Tidewater for 2 years and wish I hadn't sold it. I would push for a bit of a better deal on a Tidewater and get it.
__________________
2013 Boggy Creek Diablo Micro, Etec 50
Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Quest 11
Paul Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
  #4    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Knightdale/Swansboro, NC
Posts: 276
Default

my 23 tidewater comes tomarrow the fit and finish looks good and i havent heard anything bad about them so i got one, and it's only 51k for garmin 740s icom 304 and fusion stero and a 250 yamaha on the back so it's a hell of a deal for a 23 foot boat, and i liked the lay out of the tidewater better than the seahunt.
evanP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:25 PM
  #5    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 229
Default

I just looked over the Tidewater. It appears to have some nice features. I can't believe its 8'-10" wide!!! I would want to actually get in one and look around at the rigging and construction methods. I would also ask the Tidewater people how they are securing the console to the deck??? Ask them what type of adhesive they are using.
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 PM
  #6    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanP220 View Post
my 23 tidewater comes tomarrow the fit and finish looks good and i havent heard anything bad about them so i got one, and it's only 51k for garmin 740s icom 304 and fusion stero and a 250 yamaha on the back so it's a hell of a deal for a 23 foot boat, and i liked the lay out of the tidewater better than the seahunt.
Where did you get yours for that price? The guy up here in NJ is like a shark.. He wanted 10k down even though everyone else said 2k deposit and another 3 at delivery.
__________________
Former Owner of TT
Terminator Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM
  #7    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4oldcars View Post
I just looked over the Tidewater. It appears to have some nice features. I can't believe its 8'-10" wide!!! I would want to actually get in one and look around at the rigging and construction methods. I would also ask the Tidewater people how they are securing the console to the deck??? Ask them what type of adhesive they are using.
I looked real good, They do not use bolts in their rod holders which concerned me, and from what was visible I did not see through bolts anywhere...

The one thing that turned me off a little with the tide water was that the deck felt a little soft right under my feet where you drive, and Im only 160lbs..

heres what I like and dislike about both

Sea Hunt Like
Package Price
Reputation.

Sea hunt Dislike
Beam compared to the Tidewater
shallow Deadrise

Tide water Like
Beam
Overall look
deadrise
good reviews

Tide Water Dislike
Springy floor
no through bolts that i could see
__________________
Former Owner of TT
Terminator Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:21 PM
  #8    
gf
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,216
Default

Did you look at a Wellcraft 232 or Hydra-Sports 2200?
gf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
  #9    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Knightdale/Swansboro, NC
Posts: 276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator Tackle View Post
Where did you get yours for that price? The guy up here in NJ is like a shark.. He wanted 10k down even though everyone else said 2k deposit and another 3 at delivery.
collins marine in smithfeild, they have two 230's coming in and we grabbed one before they got here, and the springy floor might just be that boat because every one ive been on seems solid.
evanP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:08 PM
  #10    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
Default

I have had a 2005 232 CC Sea Hunt and now have a 2011 230 CC Tidewater. Both are comparable boats. The Tidewater is a little wider and a little heavier. I like the layout of the Tidewater.
Drive both and take your pick. You can also call either factory (as I did) and talk to knowledgable folks who will answer any questions you may have. Either choice will be a good boat.
CaptainSteve101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:16 PM
  #11    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanP220 View Post
collins marine in smithfeild, they have two 230's coming in and we grabbed one before they got here, and the springy floor might just be that boat because every one ive been on seems solid.
What state? Nc?
__________________
Former Owner of TT
Terminator Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 PM
  #12    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSteve101 View Post
I have had a 2005 232 CC Sea Hunt and now have a 2011 230 CC Tidewater. Both are comparable boats. The Tidewater is a little wider and a little heavier. I like the layout of the Tidewater.
Drive both and take your pick. You can also call either factory (as I did) and talk to knowledgable folks who will answer any questions you may have. Either choice will be a good boat.
Which one rides better in sloppy water?
__________________
Former Owner of TT
Terminator Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:24 PM
  #13    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 229
Default

Please let us know how it runs with the 250 .
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM
  #14    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Knightdale/Swansboro, NC
Posts: 276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator Tackle View Post
What state? Nc?
yup nc, good guy's that work over there they told us a price before they got the invoice from tidewater and it was spot on.
evanP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 PM
  #15    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lacey, NJ
Posts: 134
Default

The guy in brick just told me that the price was 56 w/o the electronics or a trailer and the price is only gonna go up. But last time he told me 52 w/ electronics and dry docking( still have to pay for storage but they come take it out of the water and block it for you, either at their lot or your driveway)
allmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
  #16    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmann View Post
The guy in brick just told me that the price was 56 w/o the electronics or a trailer and the price is only gonna go up. But last time he told me 52 w/ electronics and dry docking( still have to pay for storage but they come take it out of the water and block it for you, either at their lot or your driveway)
Everything in NJ and Long Island costs more.........
Who is the NJ dealer?
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM
  #17    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Capt. Joe, we're comparing 2005 to 2011 but I believe the Tidewater is a little drier due to more bow flare. The boats top speed at (250) seatrial was 50 mph on the gps. That's before I added gas and two or three tons of sinkers and boating stuff.
CaptainSteve101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 PM
  #18    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lacey, NJ
Posts: 134
Default

It's called coastal boats sales, it's off princeton ave in brick town. It's the only Tidewater dealer in jersey.



Not to jack the thread but could I go to him with a quote from another dealer and bargain? This will be my first new boat I'm buying.

Last edited by allmann; 08-04-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Found name of dealer.
allmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM
  #19    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
Default

I was looking in the 18-22 range 6 months ago and stumbled across an awesome repo deal on a TIdewater 19'. After checking it all out and taking it on numerous test trials, there were no buts about it. have it down in Pirates Cove, NC and its a dream. Flounder fishing in the inlet or taking it outside for some nearshore wrecks, or just taking the family screaming across the sand flats. Love the hell of it. Durable, does well with gas, and looks great.
nszoke2418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 PM
  #20    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,764
Default

There's a barely used 26' Sea Hunt for sale that can be had in the $50's range -- I'd look long and VERY hard that boat. I own a 24' and I LOVE THE BOAT -- but the way Sea Hunt prices have been going (up) -- that 26' is the way to go.

Pete
__________________
Sea Hunt Gamefish 24

OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0