The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: No Ma'm were not drunk anymore....were just stupid
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM
  #1    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 217
Default Primer Bulb - Before or after Racor?

21' Paramount - 1999 Johnson 225 - VRO disconnected

Here is my issue: When the motor sits for more than 5-10 minutes, she will re-start but stall on acceleration. When I squeeze primer bulb and it gets hard again - away we go, runs great through all RPM's with plenty of power. I have changed the primer bulb and even mounted it vertically with arrows pointing up so there is a better chance of the check valve holding fuel in the line. No dice, doesn't matter.

All lines have been replaced with high dollar ethanol fuel rated lines, no evidence of leaks or sucking air. I would assume that any leaks would manifest themselves as performance issues during operation, not just my re-start issue. True or false

My primer bulb is located BEFORE the Racor...
__________________
Light Tackle Fishing Guide - Chesapeake Bay - Solomons/Pt. Lookout
Fishamajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM
  #2    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Manassas Va USA
Posts: 3,955
Default

Sounds like an air leak. Should not matter what side the primer bulb is on. Mine is where yours is so it is easier to fill the racor when new. You could have a bad primer bulb but I tend to not have many problems with them.
__________________

Hawkeye
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
  #3    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the Flats
Posts: 3,967
Default

I have ran them both ways with no problems.
__________________
Flatout71
------------------------------
2110 Action Craft
Coastal Bay
250 Pro XS
------------------------------
1820 Action Craft
Flats Master
175 Pro XS
------------------------------

Flatout71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 AM
  #4    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishamajig View Post
21' Paramount - 1999 Johnson 225 - VRO disconnected

Here is my issue: When the motor sits for more than 5-10 minutes, she will re-start but stall on acceleration. When I squeeze primer bulb and it gets hard again - away we go, runs great through all RPM's with plenty of power. I have changed the primer bulb and even mounted it vertically with arrows pointing up so there is a better chance of the check valve holding fuel in the line. No dice, doesn't matter.

All lines have been replaced with high dollar ethanol fuel rated lines, no evidence of leaks or sucking air. I would assume that any leaks would manifest themselves as performance issues during operation, not just my re-start issue. True or false

My primer bulb is located BEFORE the Racor...
Depending on how the fule lines are run, it could be a bad anti-siphon valve at the tank. When you sit, fuel drains back into the tank. That causes the fuel system to lose prime. When you start you use up the remaining fuel in the system and then starve before the fuel system has time to re-prime.
To test this theory, run as usual, shut down down for 15 minutes, start motor and let it idle for a full minute or two. Then see if it accelerates. If it does, there is a prime issue, bad anti-siphon, air leak or pickup tube issue.
lostsinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 AM
  #5    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,454
Default

The first thing a pro would do is eliminate your fuel system as the problem by dis-connecting it and running your motor on a portable tank with fuel line that's a known quantity... If that solves your stalling problem it's definitely not your motor... then proceed from there. There's a fair possibility that you have something in your engine's internal fuel system that's causing your starvation issue.... I'd eliminate that before the fuel line/filter/ tank issues. By the way, are you running an aftermarket fuel bulb? If you are they're notorious for causing problems. Use nothing but a new BRP fuel bulb to eliminate that possibility if your engine checks okay with an alternate fuel supply (the BRP bulbs are so reliable that technicians working on other brands will go to them when they can't get the Merc or Yam bulbs).... Good luck.

Aren't boats fun?
__________________
Tight Lines
Capt Bob LeMay
(954) 435-5666
lemaymiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 AM
  #6    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: south of Boston
Posts: 3,153
Default

Make sure the arrow is pointed up and fuel will not drain back to the tank.
Secure the bulb in position.
__________________
Sorry, I don't answer engine questions privately.
Keep them on the board so we can all learn.

Evinrude factory repair manuals.
http://stores.ebay.com/SEARAYMAN13/E...=p4634.c0.m322
(not mine)

Last edited by jonesg; 07-28-2011 at 03:42 AM.
jonesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:04 AM
  #7    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Make sure the arrow is pointed up and fuel will not drain back to the tank.
Secure the bulb in position.
I read this a lot but don't buy it.The arrow indicates flow direction, that is the orientation of the check valve. If the check valve seats correctly, it will work in any direction since it is spring loaded. Even if the valve doesn't seat correctly, fuel will not drain if all lines are leak free AND the anti-siphone valve is working
lostsinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 AM
  #8    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: south of Boston
Posts: 3,153
Default

Anti-syphon valves should have the checkvalve spring and ball knocked out with a punch, they cause problems and solve none, they aren't required for outboards.

Shake a fuel bulb, hear that rattle?
Pointing it up will fix the leak back.
I guarentee it.
__________________
Sorry, I don't answer engine questions privately.
Keep them on the board so we can all learn.

Evinrude factory repair manuals.
http://stores.ebay.com/SEARAYMAN13/E...=p4634.c0.m322
(not mine)
jonesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM
  #9    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ghana West Africa
Posts: 1,892
Default

he said he already pointed the bulb up..so that,s not the problem..sounds like anti siphon valve at tank to me, but like other poster said...run on a portable tank to eliminate engine side of fuel system.
__________________
24 Osprey Pilothouse
Volta River Estuary
Ghana West Africa
busanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:45 PM
  #10    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 5,172
Default

I've had several issues with my latest racors unseating and sucking air. I found it by turning the bulb around and squeezing. I could see/hear bubbling. I'm putting new filter heads in next.

THe filters say not to pressureize them but it sure is easier to fill them with primer before.
__________________
For God's sake it's an ANTIVENTILATION PLATE!

"CaptTater has not made any friends yet"
Capttater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:13 PM
  #11    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: south of Boston
Posts: 3,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capttater View Post
I've had several issues with my latest racors unseating and sucking air. I found it by turning the bulb around and squeezing. I could see/hear bubbling. I'm putting new filter heads in next.

THe filters say not to pressureize them but it sure is easier to fill them with primer before.

You found the leak or you caused the leak by pressurizing the filter.?
Sounds like putting it under pressure unseats the seal.
I removed my pressure head and cleaned it up, it is old, installed a new filter with a dab of grease on the seal.
__________________
Sorry, I don't answer engine questions privately.
Keep them on the board so we can all learn.

Evinrude factory repair manuals.
http://stores.ebay.com/SEARAYMAN13/E...=p4634.c0.m322
(not mine)
jonesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:18 PM
  #12    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 5,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
You found the leak or you caused the leak by pressurizing the filter.?
Sounds like putting it under pressure unseats the seal.
I removed my pressure head and cleaned it up, it is old, installed a new filter with a dab of grease on the seal.
Nope. Dang motor stalled and RACOR was empty. First one was a PITA to find. I used a spare primer I keep on the boat with no luck.
Next trip the other motor did it. At least I knew what it was that time.
It did it again 2 weeks ago with a new filter.

I keep a strap wrench in the bilge to get them off which I've used on these to tighten 'em better.
__________________
For God's sake it's an ANTIVENTILATION PLATE!

"CaptTater has not made any friends yet"
Capttater is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0