The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 566
Default Nice in-dash storage solution

This winter I repowered my Boston Whaler 28 Conquest with the new Yamaha F250 4.2L Offshore motors. Because these motors use the "Command Link Plus" LCD display for their instrumentation, I no longer needed 8 analog dials (2 tachs, 2 temp guages, 2 battery gauges, a fuel gauge, and an hour meter) for my old Optimax motors. Separately, it always REALLY bugged me that I didn't have a great place to put my phone, sunglasses, sandwich, etc without them falling off the various smooth, rounded surfaces.

So... I had my shop fabricate a shallow storage box that would fill the space where the gauges were as well as allow me to keep the right half of the lower instrument panel (as oppose to buying a new panel with a big blank space, which would have been surprisingly expensive).

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out! I realize I could have put the Yamaha Command Link display down where the old gauges were, which would have left the upper panel a bit less cramped, but functionally it makes a lot more sense to have all the important displays up top where I can see and manipulate them easily.

Now if only it will actually become Spring and I can splash the boat and try out the new power!
Attached Images
  

Last edited by jtcwhaler; 03-31-2011 at 06:56 PM.
jtcwhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,395
Thumbs up Very NICE

I like it ! I cant wait also .
Attached Images
  
35contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 195
Default

nice dashjob
Aticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 5,416
Default

Very good idea.
Oh it was 94 degrees hear today on the highway. Almost too hot to boat.
Capttater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 566
Default

Thanks.

It's actually SNOWING outside right now (Boston). Crazy.
jtcwhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Default Looking for an instrument panel for whaler

Nice work!

I just bought a very clean 2005 190 Nantucket with a Merc 115. The instrument panel shows lots of wear and fading. I would like to replace it but was told by my local dealer that Whaler no longer makes this panel.

Can you tell me what material was your new instrument panel was fabricated from? I may need to make one if I can't find one off the shelf. Anyone out there know a supplier that may have one?

Many Thanks
whalernovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 566
Default

Heh - exactly 5 years later I replaced the Whaler with a Grady White and also had to redo the dash. I highly recommend International Marine -- they laser cut an acrylic panel for the Grady which came our perfect for a very reasonable price.

Here's a link to a bunch of panels that they've done. Mine is on page 2. Electrical Panels before and after

You can probably send them a picture of the panel with measurements or even send them the old panel and have them replicate. The laser cut panels are great because they have all the cut outs (even screw holes) which saves a bunch of time/$$ on installing.

Good luck and enjoy your whaler!
jtcwhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Thank you jtcwhaler. I'm now looking forward to connecting with International Marine. Currently drooling over the carbon fiber options. There is hope. Can you tell me where they are located?
whalernovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 566
Default

https://www.internationalmarineservice.com/

THT sponsors and great folks. Just give them a ring.
jtcwhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcwhaler View Post
Heh - exactly 5 years later I replaced the Whaler with a Grady White

When I read that, I was scrolled-over and couldn't see poster name/location, but said to myself, sounds like Cape Cod.

My ex took most of the money and bought a little place in Osterville...
she had a $700K budget, which got quickly increased. 700K doesn't buy much there, but she wanted the address. And in all of Barnstable County, about 75% of residential streets are private roads. I hadn't been to Hyannis in a few years, but last summer was shocked to see all the heroin being moved, obvious to me as a criminal investigator in NY. Every waitress seemed to be in withdrawal and on edge or else practically nodding-off...and the local tradespeople don't own calendars or watches, either. She can have it...took me 35 minutes to go 4 miles on Rt. 28 in August to buy GIT-Rot (at Botello's)... Cape houses soak it up like a sponge, as do transoms.

I've been going to the Cape for 40+ years, and was always amazed that it's a 2-brand location for boats, just Whalers and Gradys, neither of which would have been my first choice, no offense meant. And, I expect marine service is rip-off city...the Hyannis West Marine is tiny with poor selection, and they're considered the cheap source of boating products, but here, considered the most expensive.

For any new panels (and lots of other stuff), definitely go off-Cape, and if able, do all the labor yourself, much simpler with precise CNC-cutting and they have the digital files for every gauge and piece of electronics known, and some will even do pre-wiring, like for the switch panels, you just supply a sketch of the layout you want and they will align everything, and can do back-lighting, and laser-engrave the Grady or Whaler logo for you. Thick acrylic is ideal, and some specialty stuff comes in "sandwich" construction, allowing back-lighting in two different colors depending how deep the laser is programmed to etch. Very cool. Yours came out great.
Karl in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:18 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
Default

Hey sorry to bother... Great repower!! Just curious what your cruising and top speed is now on the contender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35contender View Post
I like it ! I cant wait also .
gonza6bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,395
Default #ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonza6bb View Post
Hey sorry to bother... Great repower!! Just curious what your cruising and top speed is now on the contender?
Here are some #ers for you to look at ( the 300s are in my opinion the perfect mach )


Have some #ers with new F300 twins with old props what would you prop with ??
35contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
Default

Nice numbers appreciate it should help a buddy with repowering same boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35contender View Post
Here are some #ers for you to look at ( the 300s are in my opinion the perfect mach )


Have some #ers with new F300 twins with old props what would you prop with ??
gonza6bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,453
Default

Nice job!
76 Mako 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #15
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 566
Default

Yes indeed - I'm in the Cape. Hyannis has always had a bit of a low-life / drug problem, though I agree it seems to have gotten worse (along with the rest of the country). Rest of the Cape hasn't changed much. I see 5 Whalers for every Grady out here, but yeah they are both popular. Some of that is self-reinforcing: when you go to look for a used hull, you can find a lot more availability. That said, I bought my Grady in CT.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl in NY View Post
When I read that, I was scrolled-over and couldn't see poster name/location, but said to myself, sounds like Cape Cod.

My ex took most of the money and bought a little place in Osterville...
she had a $700K budget, which got quickly increased. 700K doesn't buy much there, but she wanted the address. And in all of Barnstable County, about 75% of residential streets are private roads. I hadn't been to Hyannis in a few years, but last summer was shocked to see all the heroin being moved, obvious to me as a criminal investigator in NY. Every waitress seemed to be in withdrawal and on edge or else practically nodding-off...and the local tradespeople don't own calendars or watches, either. She can have it...took me 35 minutes to go 4 miles on Rt. 28 in August to buy GIT-Rot (at Botello's)... Cape houses soak it up like a sponge, as do transoms.

I've been going to the Cape for 40+ years, and was always amazed that it's a 2-brand location for boats, just Whalers and Gradys, neither of which would have been my first choice, no offense meant. And, I expect marine service is rip-off city...the Hyannis West Marine is tiny with poor selection, and they're considered the cheap source of boating products, but here, considered the most expensive.

For any new panels (and lots of other stuff), definitely go off-Cape, and if able, do all the labor yourself, much simpler with precise CNC-cutting and they have the digital files for every gauge and piece of electronics known, and some will even do pre-wiring, like for the switch panels, you just supply a sketch of the layout you want and they will align everything, and can do back-lighting, and laser-engrave the Grady or Whaler logo for you. Thick acrylic is ideal, and some specialty stuff comes in "sandwich" construction, allowing back-lighting in two different colors depending how deep the laser is programmed to etch. Very cool. Yours came out great.
jtcwhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 PM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.