The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Default Any Experience with Viking Boat Lifts?

Does anyone here have any firsthand experience with Viking Boat Lifts?

I recently bought a house on the water and am starting to plan the infrastructure for a future fleet of sail and powerboats. I like the uncluttered look of the lift and there are great testimonials on the Viking website, but I have never seen one and don't know anybody who has either. I'm currently overseas, so I have time to look for the right lift and to wait for boats at the right price.


Thanks!
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston, TX USA
Posts: 973
Default

I have heard of Viking Boat Lifts & in fact were approached by them to distribute the product line about 5 or 6 years ago. The concept is great & it's a clean look. The problem I had were the logistics on getting the product & the stability of the lift. I worried that over time the lift would settle (which it will) & would bring about issues to correct/adjust. I never really pursued the opportunity after that & to be honest have not heard or seen any in the market. I guess that's either (2) things, (1) they're still young & trying to get the product out or (2) no news is good news?


Happy Boating,
Michael
Boat Lift Distributors
800-657-9998
boatlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Default Viking Boat Lift

I have a Viking Boat Lift. They are good, but EXTREMELY unreliable. The company provides absolutely no customer service. My lift was literally knocked over by the Ice in NY this winter, and they wouldnt come and fix it, even though they were supposedly in my area installing other lifts. There are other similar stories on the web. Dont waste your money!!!!
shek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston, TX USA
Posts: 973
Default

Check out this blog:

http://vikingboatliftnightmares.blog...oat-lifts.html


Tight Lines & Happy Hunting,
Michael Fulweber
Boat Lift Distributors
800-657-9998
713-461-9443 (local)
boatlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Default Viking Boat Don't buy it beware too good to be true

We bought a viking boat lift in May of 2009. In the spring of 2010 I noticed the boat lift had shifted. I asked them to come and fix it, they promised all summer and never followed through. We arived in the spring of 2011 to find the lift at the bottom of the lake. Again they promised to come and fix it they had an install in the area.

Below is the email they sent.

Hello " ".........



Bo should be arriving at your location tomorrow.

I don't have an exact time, but he will be there tomorrow.



Regard's,

Angelina

Viking Marine International



Here is the email she sent later in that day when he didn't arrive.



" "..........

Did you get the pricing for Bo to come out to do the work?

Regard's,
Angelina
Viking Marine International


What kind of warranty is that. I trust others will post their stories to stop them from selling this horrible product.
satlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: nj
Posts: 3,256
Default

they are from canada ay! can you file a lawsuit being they are from another country?
tunatango123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Default

Thanks for the very helpful comments. The Viking lift looks like a good concept, but reliability and service count for more than anything else. I will stick with well-known manufacturers and local installers with good reputations.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Default Beware of Viking Boat Lifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingman View Post
Does anyone here have any firsthand experience with Viking Boat Lifts?

I recently bought a house on the water and am starting to plan the infrastructure for a future fleet of sail and powerboats. I like the uncluttered look of the lift and there are great testimonials on the Viking website, but I have never seen one and don't know anybody who has either. I'm currently overseas, so I have time to look for the right lift and to wait for boats at the right price.


Thanks!
Greetings all. I am in the process of enduring a HORRIBLE experience with Viking Boat Lifts VIKING BOAT LIFT-marine hoist and docks out of Ontario Canada, and wanted to post my experiences to possibly prevent a fellow boaters from having to suffer through experiences similar to mine.

It all started great last fall when I was searching for a shallow water boat lift that could hoist my 8k lb 2007 Eliminator Daytona. There are few options, but I found Viking and liked the fact that they claimed their design allowed the lift to remain in the water during winter seasons. I even spoke with a customer of theirs that had left the lift in over the winter without issue.

They were easy to deal with through the sales process. Unfortunately, I needed 2 of these lifts to hoist a boat of my length. They asked for $10k deposit, of which I was very uncomfortable with. After dealing with Angelina through the entire sales process, I finally told here there was no way I was going to send $10k out of the country as desposit. She got the owner and founder of the company on the phone, Bo Moeller, and he began to explain how everyone gives him a minimum of 50% down. After some discussion, he understood my concern and said he'd settle for a $2k deposit. Begrudginly, I agreed.

All seemed cool. I sent the deposit check. I received a confirmation email form them, as well as confirmation post card.
Then the games began.

In early April I reached out and asked when they were going to do my install. Several days went by without a response. I sent another email...again several days went by without a response. I then called and left a message. A few more days go by and I get an email from someone named Toni stating that they don't have an install date and they'll have to get back to me.

End of April rolls along so I call back. Mailbox is full. I send an email asking when my install date was as we agreed it was going to be first week in May. Several days go by, it's now first week in May. I call, able to leave a message. several days go by. No returned phone call. The following week, I get an email from Toni with some cryptic verbiage around them having a few set backs, and they still can't give me an install date, but it definitely won't be the first 3 weeks in May.

"Set Backs?' So the compassionate side of me fears that something may have happened to Bo or Angelina so I reply back to Toni and ask if Bo and Angelina are ok. No response. The following week - still no response.

So, now I begin to get suspcicious and start poking around the internet and find that I am not alone. There are several others experiencing challenges similar to mine with this company. So much so that there is a guy that started a blog about his challenges -> http://vikingboatliftnightmares.blog...oat-lifts.html

And another person on a legal forum seeking advice on how to sue Viking to to their lack of performance -> http://www.justanswer.com/canada-law...ney-creek.html

After seeing this, I put Viking Boat Lift on Notice in writing and gave them 2 weeks to have my lift installed. If not, I wanted my deposit back and was seeking another solution. If they chose not to return my desposit I was going to seek legal action and let others know of my experience. That date has now come and gone. I have purchased an RGC lift from another vendor and am moving on from this company.

As a small business owner, I always found that being honest with my customers fared well. It is unfortunate that the folks at Viking Marine haven't treated me (and apparently others) in this fashion.

So now I am engaging an attorney in Ontario to go after my deposit. As opposed to singing their praises for doing what they agreed to do and what I paid them to do, because they have failed MISERABLY!

Hopefully this helps others avoid the headaches I've enjoyed this spring. I will proivde updates as the saga continues.
It's a shame that one has to endure this kind of dishonest and unprofessional behavior.

There are some threads on 2 other boating forums on this topic that you may want to follow as well. They are:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...oat-lifts.html
and
http://www.performanceboats.com/pb-o...ts-beware.html

I would be very careful doing business with this company.
Adrenaline Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Default One year, 2 months - still waiting for a lift....

Hi, unfortunately I am one of those waiting over a year for a viking boat lift - see my story here - http://myvikingboatliftexperience.blogspot.com/

Thanks! Keith.
keithf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Default help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie View Post
Greetings all. I am in the process of enduring a HORRIBLE experience with Viking Boat Lifts VIKING BOAT LIFT-marine hoist and docks out of Ontario Canada, and wanted to post my experiences to possibly prevent a fellow boaters from having to suffer through experiences similar to mine.

It all started great last fall when I was searching for a shallow water boat lift that could hoist my 8k lb 2007 Eliminator Daytona. There are few options, but I found Viking and liked the fact that they claimed their design allowed the lift to remain in the water during winter seasons. I even spoke with a customer of theirs that had left the lift in over the winter without issue.

They were easy to deal with through the sales process. Unfortunately, I needed 2 of these lifts to hoist a boat of my length. They asked for $10k deposit, of which I was very uncomfortable with. After dealing with Angelina through the entire sales process, I finally told here there was no way I was going to send $10k out of the country as desposit. She got the owner and founder of the company on the phone, Bo Moeller, and he began to explain how everyone gives him a minimum of 50% down. After some discussion, he understood my concern and said he'd settle for a $2k deposit. Begrudginly, I agreed.

All seemed cool. I sent the deposit check. I received a confirmation email form them, as well as confirmation post card.
Then the games began.

In early April I reached out and asked when they were going to do my install. Several days went by without a response. I sent another email...again several days went by without a response. I then called and left a message. A few more days go by and I get an email from someone named Toni stating that they don't have an install date and they'll have to get back to me.

End of April rolls along so I call back. Mailbox is full. I send an email asking when my install date was as we agreed it was going to be first week in May. Several days go by, it's now first week in May. I call, able to leave a message. several days go by. No returned phone call. The following week, I get an email from Toni with some cryptic verbiage around them having a few set backs, and they still can't give me an install date, but it definitely won't be the first 3 weeks in May.

"Set Backs?' So the compassionate side of me fears that something may have happened to Bo or Angelina so I reply back to Toni and ask if Bo and Angelina are ok. No response. The following week - still no response.

So, now I begin to get suspcicious and start poking around the internet and find that I am not alone. There are several others experiencing challenges similar to mine with this company. So much so that there is a guy that started a blog about his challenges -> http://vikingboatliftnightmares.blog...oat-lifts.html

And another person on a legal forum seeking advice on how to sue Viking to to their lack of performance -> http://www.justanswer.com/canada-law...ney-creek.html

After seeing this, I put Viking Boat Lift on Notice in writing and gave them 2 weeks to have my lift installed. If not, I wanted my deposit back and was seeking another solution. If they chose not to return my desposit I was going to seek legal action and let others know of my experience. That date has now come and gone. I have purchased an RGC lift from another vendor and am moving on from this company.

As a small business owner, I always found that being honest with my customers fared well. It is unfortunate that the folks at Viking Marine haven't treated me (and apparently others) in this fashion.

So now I am engaging an attorney in Ontario to go after my deposit. As opposed to singing their praises for doing what they agreed to do and what I paid them to do, because they have failed MISERABLY!

Hopefully this helps others avoid the headaches I've enjoyed this spring. I will proivde updates as the saga continues.
It's a shame that one has to endure this kind of dishonest and unprofessional behavior.

There are some threads on 2 other boating forums on this topic that you may want to follow as well. They are:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...oat-lifts.html
and
http://www.performanceboats.com/pb-o...ts-beware.html

I would be very careful doing business with this company.


I saw on another forum that you got your lift. Your story and mine are exactly the same up to the point of me being out $8,000 US and i still have no lifts after 8 months. How did you get them to proform? I have hired an attorney that visits them on a weekly basis.
jeff camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
Default Viking Experience

Hello.

I have owned a Viking Boat Lift and Dock since 2006. I live on the Mobjack Bay of VA. I can say that for the most part, I have been very pleased with the product.

Things to consider:

1. call backs don't happen....very frustrating
2. The galvanized chain on the lift rusts. Once it reaches a certain level of corrosion, it breaks, dropping your boat into the water. The part of the chain most impacted sits in the water when the boat is raised. When you lower the boat on a low tide, the corroded section wears down until its load bearing capacity doesn't match the weight of the boat. This has happened twice since I've owned the boat. I am currently trying to purchase a chain to fix the lift, but can't get them to call me back with specs.
3. The dock is great because I can pull it appart when storms come. I remove all the shallow water sections and have not experienced damage. It is a painful, but better than replacement costs and issues.
4. Angelina tries, but for the most part, can't get a hold of Bo when he is on the road. He doesn't have a cell phone, so he calls in once a day. I have tried giving honest feedback, but they take it personally. In fact, they make it sound like I'm being unreasonable.

I still have the lift and dock. It has aged well and seems to be holding up well to the saltwater. I can say that I am now repairing the dock myself, so if you aren't mechanical, consider that they have no true service to speak of.

I really believe they are honest people. Bo is a good guy who can't keep up with the growth of his business. I don't think they are doing this intentionally, but the reality is that it is happening to people who have made deposits. Intentional or not....the consequences can be read above. Bo has actually mentioned while at my home that he is having problems keeping up with service calls.

If anyone is in VA and wants to talk...please email me.

thanks,
MissGrace.
MissGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Default Viking Boat Lift

My experience with Viking is awful. Made $4,000 deposit last December for a lift to be installed in May. Never happened. They made repeated promises that were never kept. In August, I asked for my money back. Did not even get the courtesy of a response, let alone a refund.
Have filed a report with the Hamilton Police Fraud Squad and a complaint with the Ontario Government Consumer and Corporate Affairs.

Last edited by Muskoka Boater; 11-17-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo
Muskoka Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Happy New Year folks!

To recap - in April 2010 we paid Viking Marine $4000 US as a deposit for a boat lift. Here we are nearly 3 years later sans the lift or money....

Just wanted to let you know that the Canadian Government just laid charges against Viking Marine International - full details on my blog at http://myvikingboatliftexperience.blogspot.com

Safe boating all!

Last edited by keithf; 02-19-2013 at 05:55 PM.
keithf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #14
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central FL and Holland, MI
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithf View Post
Happy New Year folks!

To recap - in April 2010 we paid Viking Marine $4000 US as a deposit for a boat lift. Here we are nearly 3 years later sans the lift or money....

Just wanted to let you know that the Canadian Government just laid 30 charges against Viking Marine International - full details on my blog at http://myvikingboatliftexperience.blogspot.com

Safe boating all!

Wow, quite a story. I think we all can understand the challenges of getting overwhelmed when running a small business. This goes far beyond being overwhelmed, though - I'm glad to hear that the authorities assisted you in getting charges assessed against these people!

I hope you get your money back...
PPLEPEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:12 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.