The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: I wish I was born rich instead of good looking.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2010, 11:38 AM
  #1    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 150
Default Nuteak

Has anyone used or seen the NUTEAK product? I was considering removing my carpet floor in cabin and replacing it with Nutak? Its $10 square foot for Interior, And $30 square foot for exterior? I seen thisproduct at the boston boat show and like the look and how it has no maintance. Just looking for any input
srt44116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM
  #2    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 355
Default

I've seen it at a bunch of the shows and was thinking the same thing. The only detraction from the product is once it is down it is not removable as it will tear up the gel coat when it is removed. The pricing they gave me last weekend was around $30/sq ft for a DIY installation.
Soulstice is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-01-2010, 11:47 AM
  #3    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstice View Post
I've seen it at a bunch of the shows and was thinking the same thing. The only detraction from the product is once it is down it is not removable as it will tear up the gel coat when it is removed. The pricing they gave me last weekend was around $30/sq ft for a DIY installation.
Ya 30sq ft fo Uv protected and 10sq ft for interior use. I like the look aot but wonde how hard it is to install?
srt44116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
  #4    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt44116 View Post
Ya 30sq ft fo Uv protected and 10sq ft for interior use. I like the look aot but wonde how hard it is to install?
Have you ever done hardwood "Click" floorboards or laminate flooring like pergo? It really is about the same to install these. Basic handtools and a saw are all that should be needed. Just double check everything as once you adhere these, they are down forever.
Soulstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM
  #5    
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sailfish Capital
Posts: 13,913
Default

The down forever part would scare me... What are the downsides to the product?
How does it clean after a few years in the sun?
How hot does it get in the summer? (A big drawback to composite decking)
What is the traction like on it when wet?
The guy giving the speel on the website says it's resistant to stains, in other words, it can (and will) stain.

Plus to me, a wood lover, it screams fake more than Pergo does...
__________________
Mike
http://www.thehulltruth.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=17887&dateline=132844  6335

Livin the dream...
Afishinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:56 PM
  #6    
Bly
Admirals Club Captains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: south jersey
Posts: 5,998
Default I like the job you did. Would you come help me do mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishinado View Post
The down forever part would scare me... What are the downsides to the product?
How does it clean after a few years in the sun?
How hot does it get in the summer? (A big drawback to composite decking)
What is the traction like on it when wet?
The guy giving the speel on the website says it's resistant to stains, in other words, it can (and will) stain.

Plus to me, a wood lover, it screams fake more than Pergo does...
Kidding aside, I love wood and most of my boats have had teak helm pods and teak floor and occasionally a teak covering board. So I love teak, but I am seriously looking this stuff over. The maintenance part of teak makes me want fake
Bly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 PM
  #7    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bly View Post
Kidding aside, I love wood and most of my boats have had teak helm pods and teak floor and occasionally a teak covering board. So I love teak, but I am seriously looking this stuff over. The maintenance part of teak makes me want fake
thats why i am considerign it. And as for fading, dont know if it will because it has color all the way through. Also it is like plastic or rubber. Not like composite decking. Its thin and is very flexable. But am curiouse as to staining? I wish i new someone who ALREADY has this done on there boat.
srt44116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM
  #8    
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sailfish Capital
Posts: 13,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt44116 View Post
thats why i am considerign it. And as for fading, dont know if it will because it has color all the way through..
So does the $6.99 green plastic lawn chairs that turn white and brittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt44116 View Post
.....I wish i new someone who ALREADY has this done on there boat.
I would add for a few years to that...
__________________
Mike
http://www.thehulltruth.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=17887&dateline=132844  6335

Livin the dream...
Afishinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
  #9    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt44116 View Post
thats why i am considerign it. And as for fading, dont know if it will because it has color all the way through. Also it is like plastic or rubber. Not like composite decking. Its thin and is very flexable. But am curiouse as to staining? I wish i new someone who ALREADY has this done on there boat.
In regards to staining, they do stain. We asked about spilling wine, blood, etc on it and the reponse was...No problem just use a little sandpaper and it is good as new. But that was for the external grade, the interior grade may be a little different as it is a stiffer material and is supposedly made of a poly coated laminate top layer.
Soulstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
  #10    
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: nassau long island
Posts: 39
Default

i liked the idea of nuteak untill i realized that you have to assemble every lil strip and cut the corners etc. glue it all together than glue it down. seems like a whole lot of work and the price is pretty expensive for having to do all the work
erikb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
  #11    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikb45 View Post
i liked the idea of nuteak untill i realized that you have to assemble every lil strip and cut the corners etc. glue it all together than glue it down. seems like a whole lot of work and the price is pretty expensive for having to do all the work
Yes it does seem like a little bit of work but the price is not bad. You ever buy teak? not cheap
srt44116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:44 PM
  #12    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 1,078
Default

So what's a good alternative? I want to replace the carpet in my cabin with something nicer. Amtico?

Randy
__________________


**************
2002 36' Contender trip Vrods **SOLD**
1997 Blackfin 38' Combi TAMD122P Volvos 600 hp **SOLD**
1998 Century 2201 Bay, C150 Yamaha 2 strokes, 3 carburetors, 0 oil injection pumps!! **SOLD**
1984 GW Tournament 192, 200 Yamaha*SOLD*
38Blackfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:56 PM
  #13    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 21,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikb45 View Post
i liked the idea of nuteak untill i realized that you have to assemble every lil strip and cut the corners etc. glue it all together than glue it down. seems like a whole lot of work and the price is pretty expensive for having to do all the work
They will install it for you for a price.

I looked at it at a local show and am considering doing in on the inside in place of carpet. The problem would be trimming around two hatches and making sure the hinges aren't a trip hazzard.

A guy at my marina was having it done on the outside but I haven't seen him since it was supposed to be done. His boat is dry stacked so I can't see it until he takes it out.
__________________
Ron
2000 Camano Troll

HIGH COTTON
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery....9&gid=19068769
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
  #14    
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: nassau long island
Posts: 39
Default

no i have never priced teak out so you might be right about the cost. i know it's expensive but how much is expensive?

i am a carpenter by trade, i like to think that im pretty handy. i just dont see this coming together as nicely (for the average consumer) as they have in there ads. how do you make the curved border? how much do they charge to install it for you?

i have never priced real teak and teak might be out of my league as far as money goes. how does nuteak compare dollar for dollar with real teak?
erikb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
  #15    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,734
Default

Teak Prices......

I called Boulter Plywood www.boulterplywood.com in Somerville MA two weeks ago about teak $$$ for my formula(will be up there in a month to check on my place anyway). Approx $38/bft 12/4, $28/bft 8/4, and a little less for 5/4 . Most of it is surfaced on two sides only, 6"-9" wide boards.

So on the cheap you are talking $25/ft2 if you have the joiner/planer/table saw to rip and surface the boards yourself to about 3/4"thick.

For the novice 1 board foot(bft) is 12"Wx12"Lx1"H
__________________
1972 Formula 233F
bjm9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:07 PM
  #16    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: N. Eastham Ma.
Posts: 5,633
Default

May I suggest Flexiteek, Same idea but a superior product. better UV. nonskid and stain resistance. the product is welded together by a flexiteek dealer and sent as one peice, so you do not have to worry about seam seperation. about $50 Sq. ft. assembeled DYI install.

http://www.flexiteek.com/
__________________

"why so sad? your tears are no match for mine, For I am eternal Sea, and you are a drowning man"
CMEBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:39 PM
  #17    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt44116 View Post
thats why i am considerign it. And as for fading, dont know if it will because it has color all the way through. Also it is like plastic or rubber. Not like composite decking. Its thin and is very flexable. But am curiouse as to staining? I wish i new someone who ALREADY has this done on there boat.
Just use the real stuff?
I have TONS of teak on my boat, removed all of it 10+ years ago, stripped it, sanded it, acetoned it and hit it with sikkens cetol LIGHT and topcoated with sikkens satin clear and reinstalled it. One shot deal. Every other year I run across it with a thin quick topcoated of the clear. In recvent years I have switched to a higher gloss clear. It MUST be going on like 12 years now. It doesn't get an easier than this for low maintenance. The only thing showing signs of weather is my teak pulpit, that will get done over soon, the pulpiut takes the most abuse but to refinish it once a decade, no complaints here.

The days are gone that the sealers have that bright orange and phoney tone to them.

I hate all the plastic they use on boat these days. Starboard material gone on a rampage. The fake teak....I agree would be hesitant to permanently glue anything down.

To get a nice bright finish when sealing teak, it is important to wipe the teak down with acetone before the first coat of sealer. It makes a big difference in the finished product.
__________________
2000 Grady Sailfish 272 / OX66's / Local Motion II
1983 27 Phoenix / 2005 Merc EFI's / Local Motion (sold)
1962 John Allmand 23 Citation (sold)
1989 Rinker V230 / 4.3 V6 Merc (sold)
1963 Pennyan Lapstrake 17 (sold)
Local Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM
  #18    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location:
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Blackfin View Post
So what's a good alternative? I want to replace the carpet in my cabin with something nicer. Amtico?

Randy
I have Amtico vinyl teak & holly in my century express. Thats what the factory used in all their interior floors. I honestly did not know it was vinyl until I got the boat home and was cleaning it up. Looks great, seems to be indestructable. Getting it wet is a non issue. After having it and the real stuff, I'll take Amtico any day.

Heres a pic



You can order it on Defender Marines website too.

-Dave
'06 Century 3200WA, F250s, aka "SuperFishal"
Padre Isles, TX
__________________


-Dave
'06 Century 3200WA, F250s, aka "SuperFishal"
'02 Mitzi Skiffs 15, Yamaha 40hp
Padre Isles, TX
delliott00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 PM
  #19    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1
Thumbs up New Teak Dealer

Hi
I'm Greg, The Boat Doctor. I am an ABYC Certified Master Marine Technician and have been working in the industry for over 15 years, I specialise in marine electrics, electronics and plumbing, but have recently become a Massachusetts dealer/installer for NuTeak New England.

I, like srt44116 saw NuTeak for the first time at the 2010 Boston Boat Show and was intrigued by its realistic look and feel and amazed by its durability and stain resistance. I went up to Intervale, NH a few weeks after the boat show and took part in a NuTeak Installation Seminar and have since become a true believer.

I have worked with real teak decking a lotover the years, recaulking, rebedding and repairing decks, as well as having done multiple two part cleans etc to keep my clients boats looking shipshape. So I can honestly say that keeping natural teak looking like NuTeak is a year round, expensive, labor of love.

NuTeak is easy to install, just make a template of the area to be covered or (have me do it for you ), buy the material and build the deck pad (or have Don and Curtis build it for you) and install the pad with some Bostik 940 marine adhesive and weight it down until it sets (or..once again have me do it for you).

Once it's down it's waranteed for 20 years (where regular teak needs attention at least once a year and recaulking every 5 to 8 years) it's impervious to staining from wine, blood, diesel, gasoline and/or suntan lotion (amongst other things) and can be washed with simple boatsoap and water, or a pressure washer if you're so inclined. It will darken a little in exposed sunlight conditions, eg: Florida (5% over 20 years) to a slightly more golden color, it will not fade.

Major staining..like that blue toilet additive (which will stain your fibreglass and your porcelain toilet bowl too) and minor scuffs and scratches can be sanded out with 40 grit paper, and major cuts and gouges can be "invisibly" replaced by a skilled installer. Oh.. and contrary to the post from Soulstice it can be removed, although a tedious process, by pulling it up in 2-3 inch wide strips.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion and if there are any other questions about NuTeak that you'd like answered, just shoot me an email.

Fair Winds, and Following Seas

Greg
The Boat Doctor

ps I'm going to be installing some "exterior" pads on the interior of a clients boat tomorrow.. black stripes in the Galley and white in the Head. Oh... and throw out that blue toilet liquid and get some KO from Raritan, it doesn't stain and it smells better.

pps I believe that the product in Afishinado's picture is Flexiteek, which is redder and more plastic looking than NuTeak. NuTeak has a "hairy" just-sanded-teak like finish not glossy like Flexiteek and has a more realistic finished look... compare the pics at Flexiteek.com and NuTeak.com

Last edited by TheBoatDoctor; 04-05-2010 at 11:34 PM.
TheBoatDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 AM
  #20    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoatDoctor View Post
Hi
I'm Greg, The Boat Doctor. I am an ABYC Certified Master Marine Technician and have been working in the industry for over 15 years, I specialise in marine electrics, electronics and plumbing, but have recently become a Massachusetts dealer/installer for NuTeak New England.

I, like srt44116 saw NuTeak for the first time at the 2010 Boston Boat Show and was intrigued by its realistic look and feel and amazed by its durability and stain resistance. I went up to Intervale, NH a few weeks after the boat show and took part in a NuTeak Installation Seminar and have since become a true believer.

I have worked with real teak decking a lotover the years, recaulking, rebedding and repairing decks, as well as having done multiple two part cleans etc to keep my clients boats looking shipshape. So I can honestly say that keeping natural teak looking like NuTeak is a year round, expensive, labor of love.

NuTeak is easy to install, just make a template of the area to be covered or (have me do it for you ), buy the material and build the deck pad (or have Don and Curtis build it for you) and install the pad with some Bostik 940 marine adhesive and weight it down until it sets (or..once again have me do it for you).

Once it's down it's waranteed for 20 years (where regular teak needs attention at least once a year and recaulking every 5 to 8 years) it's impervious to staining from wine, blood, diesel, gasoline and/or suntan lotion (amongst other things) and can be washed with simple boatsoap and water, or a pressure washer if you're so inclined. It will darken a little in exposed sunlight conditions, eg: Florida (5% over 20 years) to a slightly more golden color, it will not fade.

Major staining..like that blue toilet additive (which will stain your fibreglass and your porcelain toilet bowl too) and minor scuffs and scratches can be sanded out with 40 grit paper, and major cuts and gouges can be "invisibly" replaced by a skilled installer. Oh.. and contrary to the post from Soulstice it can be removed, although a tedious process, by pulling it up in 2-3 inch wide strips.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion and if there are any other questions about NuTeak that you'd like answered, just shoot me an email.

Fair Winds, and Following Seas

Greg
The Boat Doctor

ps I'm going to be installing some "exterior" pads on the interior of a clients boat tomorrow.. black stripes in the Galley and white in the Head. Oh... and throw out that blue toilet liquid and get some KO from Raritan, it doesn't stain and it smells better.

pps I believe that the product in Afishinado's picture is Flexiteek, which is redder and more plastic looking than NuTeak. NuTeak has a "hairy" just-sanded-teak like finish not glossy like Flexiteek and has a more realistic finished look... compare the pics at Flexiteek.com and NuTeak.com
Nice to hear from someone who is using it. I've been thinking of installing it on a project boat next winter. Can you post some pictures of your client's boat once installed? Thanks again.
__________________
Real Deal - Sea Isle City, NJ
Real Deal 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0