The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: What's the first thing you should buy your boat? A for sale sign.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2009, 11:05 PM
  #1    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Default Best 50-60 HP outboard?

Just curious as to yall's opinion on the best 50-60 Hp outboard.... it will be going on a 16 ft aluminum bass boat and due to the weight concern, i have ruled out the Suzuki 60 because it is almost 100 lbs. heavier (349 lbs) than the other competitors...

Mercury 60 4stroke EFI ~240 lbs
Yamaha 50 4stroke EFI ~240 lbs
Evinrude Etec 60 ~237 lbs
Honda 50 EFI ~205 lbs


Any thoughts and experience would be great.... I have a reputable dealer nearby that sells and services all of them.... I just want reliability, fuel economy, and a motor that won't stay in the shop all the time...
Hunter213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 AM
  #2    
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 62
Default

honda has a great reputation for reliability i personally don't have any experience with them though
tdmopar59 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 AM
  #3    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Enid, OK 73703
Posts: 2,487
Default

Honda 50 (old style) was a great engine, just hard starting in cold. Now that it is EFI I would take it over the other 4 strokes. Whether the e-tech would be better is the question, as I've never run one.
__________________
Boatless for now in the middle of OK
shemstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:09 AM
  #4    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 4,229
Default

I have '96 Honda 50, I have not had it very long but so far seems like a great engine, I have replaced the water pump, thermostat, fuel filter, plugs and changed the oil. Everything is easy to work on and came apart easily. From what I have read it is the most fuel efficient 50hp out there as well.
__________________
'05 Pacific 1925
MacCTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:27 AM
  #5    
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 45
Default

I run a 50 honda on my sailboat for a kicker. I really like the motor. It's had 7 years of saltwater use. The only thing I ever change are the plugs and the impeller.

Very fuel efficient motor.

fltsfshr
fltsfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 AM
  #6    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 563
Default

What about a Tohatsu 50 hp at 207 lbs !!....Great motors !!...My Tohatsu/Nissan 70A ( older motor ) is STILL running strong after many years of trouble free service, and it comes with everything !! ....Jim
synthnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:19 AM
  #7    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: S. C.
Posts: 2,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter213 View Post
Just curious as to yall's opinion on the best 50-60 Hp outboard.... it will be going on a 16 ft aluminum bass boat and due to the weight concern, i have ruled out the Suzuki 60 because it is almost 100 lbs. heavier (349 lbs) than the other competitors...

Mercury 60 4stroke EFI ~240 lbs
Yamaha 50 4stroke EFI ~240 lbs
Evinrude Etec 60 ~237 lbs
Honda 50 EFI ~205 lbs


Any thoughts and experience would be great.... I have a reputable dealer nearby that sells and services all of them.... I just want reliability, fuel economy, and a motor that won't stay in the shop all the time...
I have a Yamaha 50 2 stroke. Yamaha still makes them. I purchased mine in 2008. It's light, and very powerful. You have to use 2 stroke oil, but there's a reservoir in the motor, so you don't have to manually "mix" the fuel/oil in your tank. I also have a stainless steel prop which I'd recommend if you are concerned about hole shot and power.

The motor runs great and starts every time. Very little maintenance. It will smoke more than any four stroke, but weighs less than anything you've posted. Mine is on a 1995 BW Dauntless that's 13'9". It's a heavy fiberglass boat, and I get 33mph.

I repowered from my original Yam 40 1995 two stroke. The new 50 Yam is quieter than my previous Yam 40. I'm certain it's not as quiet as any 4stroke.

Good luck.
dssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:44 AM
  #8    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pensacola,Florida,USA
Posts: 158
Default Honda 50 EFI

I have the 50 Honda EFI. Great motor. I don't think you could make a better choice. It pushes my 1662 SeaArk 35 mph.
__________________
Mike
mekell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:30 AM
  #9    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 112
Default

Yamaha 2 stroke definitely.
__________________
Turd Ferguson....that's funny.
MulletJupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:35 AM
  #10    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 4,229
Default

The Yamaha 2 stroke 50hp is 189lbs, the Honda is only 16lbs heavier, the Honda will give you much better fuel economy and resale.
__________________
'05 Pacific 1925
MacCTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:22 AM
  #11    
jwss
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I own a 50 Honda since 1996. For a number of valid reasons I would absolutely stay away from the carbed model if buying new. Go with the newer efi 50 if buying Honda. It has many new features and improvements that were badly needed. Also Honda has a new 60HP model. A little heavier than the 50. The Hondas have "blast". A Honda advertising slogan that means the Honda has a great "hole shot" according to Honda. Honda is always playing catchup with their outboard line. It seems to be the red headed step child of the Honda company.

I would buy the best priced engine that had the longest manufacturers warranty. Honda offers five full years directly from Honda. I believe the Mercury does also. I think the Mercury is made in China. Find a good dealer who is interested in selling and providing warranty service if needed. That will be the hard part since all the engines seem to be really decent.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:29 PM
  #12    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwss View Post
I own a 50 Honda since 1996. For a number of valid reasons I would absolutely stay away from the carbed model if buying new. Go with the newer efi 50 if buying Honda. It has many new features and improvements that were badly needed. Also Honda has a new 60HP model. A little heavier than the 50. The Hondas have "blast". A Honda advertising slogan that means the Honda has a great "hole shot" according to Honda. Honda is always playing catchup with their outboard line. It seems to be the red headed step child of the Honda company.

I would buy the best priced engine that had the longest manufacturers warranty. Honda offers five full years directly from Honda. I believe the Mercury does also. I think the Mercury is made in China. Find a good dealer who is interested in selling and providing warranty service if needed. That will be the hard part since all the engines seem to be really decent.
i'm lucky that i have an awesome dealer only about 15 minutes away that i previously purchased a 15 HP Honda from and have been very pleased with it and the dealer overall.... from the replies here, looks like i am gonna try to go with the Honda... Thanks guys...
Hunter213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 AM
  #13    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location:
Posts: 454
Default

I, too, have heard many good things about the Tohatsu outboards. I can only assume you didn't include them as you don't have a servicing dealer nearby?

I understand Honda is using about four different manufacturers to supply their OEM propellers. One of these mfrs. is PowerTech, who are well-known for their quality propellers. If possible, I'd try to get a PowerTech prop if you go for the Honda.
longboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 AM
  #14    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 17,532
Default

I have run honda all I do is change the plugs and fluid
__________________
25' Rosborough Custom Wheelhouse 31adp diesel

"I'd rather over estimate stupid than under estimate it and be disapointed."
ladyjane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 AM
  #15    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longboat View Post
I, too, have heard many good things about the Tohatsu outboards. I can only assume you didn't include them as you don't have a servicing dealer nearby?

I understand Honda is using about four different manufacturers to supply their OEM propellers. One of these mfrs. is PowerTech, who are well-known for their quality propellers. If possible, I'd try to get a PowerTech prop if you go for the Honda.
Correct, no convenient Tohatsu dealer anywhere close by..... I have decided on the honda and i will talk to my dealer about the PowerTech Props when i go in to make the purchase.... thanks guys...
Hunter213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
  #16    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tampa
Posts: 251
Default

Are you sure there isn't a dealer in your area...Sometimes they hide
__________________
Elvin
TOHATSU GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 PM
  #17    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 4,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOHATSU GURU View Post
Are you sure there isn't a dealer in your area...Sometimes they hide

Are there any advantages with the Tohatsu over the other choises?
From thier web site it looks like the weight for the 50hp is 205lbs and the MSRP is around the same as the other brands mentioned.
__________________
'05 Pacific 1925
MacCTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 PM
  #18    
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brielle,NJ/Ft.Myers/Maryland
Posts: 313
Default

this is easy the Yamaha
CaptinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:16 AM
  #19    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tampa
Posts: 251
Default

Outboard choice is like choosing a car. It just depends on what you are looking for. Tohatsu has an edge in reliability, hole shot and occasionally price. Other brands are quieter, sometimes cheaper and have a year longer warranty. Personally, I loathe four-strokes so I would only consider the etec or Tohatsu. Between those two, in this size range, the Tohatsu stomps on the Evinrude in everything except emissions. Honestly though, any brand name is virtually flawless in terms of problems, so you roll the dice and take your chances with anything.
__________________
Elvin
TOHATSU GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best motor? Direct Drive, Inboard/Outboard, or Outboard Gratitude2 The Boating Forum 10 10-10-2007 07:58 PM
Best motor? Direct Drive, Inboard/Outboard, or Outboard Gratitude2 The Boating Forum 0 10-10-2007 07:49 AM
Mercury 50hp outboard $1600 + Outboard Jet Lower unit $600 BigShrimpin Fishing & Miscellaneous Items -- COMMERCIAL sellers only 1 05-15-2007 02:38 PM
Sterndrive/ inboard/outboard vs outboard wpspindler The Boating Forum 6 07-03-2003 07:53 AM
inboard/outboard versas outboard motors erau The Boating Forum 9 05-19-2003 01:38 PM

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0