The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: Never assume...becuase it makes a ASS out of U and ME!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2008, 06:49 PM
  #1    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 2,502
Default Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

My last homemade anchor(Mighty Mite knock-off) was lost due to an unfortunate mishap involving reverse gear and my pickup truck. Fortunately my tire survived. I had leftover materials from the last anchor so the replacement cost was $0. I enjoy making crap in my garage so this really wasn't about saving money. Figured I would share the process so I took a few pictures. Sorry about the blurry one. Hope you find this useful.

Materials:
17" x 1.5" ID anodized aluminum pipe scrap from a local marine fabricator(Free).
12' x 3/8" aluminum rod scraps from Scrap All($5).
Lead tire weights from Tire Kingdom(free).

Tools:
Propane torch
Bench vise
Two 12" pieces of rebar scrap.
Mallet
Chop saw with metal blade or hacksaw
Bench Grinder
Bolt cutter
Propane burner or Coleman stove
Long needle-nose pliers
Stainless steel camping cup
Vise Grip Pliers.

Cut a piece of aluminum pipe 17"



Anneal the aluminum rods where you plan to bend them. Heat the rods with the propane torch for several minutes then cool them quickly by dipping in a bucket full of ice water. The colder the better. The aluminum will harden again slowly over time.



Bend the first rod. I use two pieces of rebar clamped about 7/16" apart in the bench vice to aid in bending the rods. A few whacks with a hammer or mallet will help should you encounter a stubborn spot.



Bend the 2nd rod. Make sure the overall length is 3/8" longer.



Attach the two bent rods at the top using two cable ties.



Make the 5th tine longer so it sticks out at the top of the anchor. The extra loop will keep the rod firmly anchored in the molten lead.



Assemble the rods as shown. Use a cable tie at the bottom to hold everything together temporarily. Arrange the tines so they are equally spaced.



Slip the pipe over the rods. Cut and remove the bottom cable tie so they fit. The top cable ties will burn away in the molten lead.



Flip the anchor over and stuff a wad of aluminum foil in the bottom. This will keep the molten lead from pouring out the bottom.



Flip the anchor back over and fill with molten lead tire weights. I melt my lead in a stainless steel camping cup placed on a propane camp stove burner. Vise Grip pliers make a great removable handle for the cup. Don't clamp them on until you are ready to pour. I use the needle nose pliers to remove the tire weight steel clamps and crud from the molten lead. Do this outdoors on a windy day or use a strong fan to blow away the fumes. Move far away while the lead melts so you don't breathe the fumes.



Turn the anchor over and remove the aluminum foil plug with needle-nose pliers after a few minutes. Use a damp towel or welding gloves or you will burn the crap out of your hands. Fill the bottom of the pipe completely with lead. Allow to cool.



Close up of bottom.



Finished anchor with galvanized chain and shackles. The tines will bend if the anchor hangs up. You can bend them back into shape with a DeadBlow hammer. Never had a tine break until I drove over the last anchor with my truck. Oooooops!


__________________

2005 Sea Hunt 202, Honda BF150 2009 Toyota Tundra
HullSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:00 PM
  #2    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 415
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Great Post, nice job!
__________________
Scubadown
1981 Grady White 24 Offshore
1997 200 HP Evinrude

scubadown is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-18-2008, 09:36 PM
  #3    
Admirals Club Captains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,177
Send a message via MSN to emudryj
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Awesome!!! thanks for sharing!!! another DIY project for my list!!!
__________________
The "Ideal Society" is where there's "Maximum Freedom and Responsibility for the Individual". Where people have the right to live their own lives as they see fit as long as they are not hurting anyone else with their Freedom.

Please, ask me who said it.

"Dr. Ron Paul cured my apathy"

Jesus wears a bracelet that says "What Would Ron Paul Do"
emudryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:49 AM
  #4    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wareham, MA USA
Posts: 378
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Excellent job, and great detail and instructions.
__________________
215 CC Kencraft Challenger
225 Ficht (so far so good.)
stripa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:54 AM
  #5    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 2,306
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Would be hard to tell the real one from yours..great job!
__________________
http://s27.postimg.org/yl33qq1nj/alburyboatlogo.jpg

oceanluvr30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:17 AM
  #6    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mobile Al
Posts: 543
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

When I read your post title I thought to myself.....Why in the world would you want a homemade anchor????

But now I see, that is great looking. Question, what are the advantages of this type compared to a lay-flat style?
__________________
My boat
Clearwater 2400 Baystar
F200 Yamaha 4 stroke____________________________________________ ________________My day job
DoorKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:47 AM
  #7    
Admirals Club Captains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SE LA
Posts: 4,068
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Great how-to!!!! Thank you very much!!!!

Gary
Gmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:53 AM
  #8    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 2,502
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Quote:
DoorKicker - 4/19/2008 8:17 AM

When I read your post title I thought to myself.....Why in the world would you want a homemade anchor????

But now I see, that is great looking. Question, what are the advantages of this type compared to a lay-flat style?
I only use this anchor when I'm down in the Keys or wreck/artificial reef fishing in my area(Sarasota). The advantage is that you won't lose the anchor to the reef like a fluke type. The tines will flex allowing it to pull free. Cleat off the rode and motor forward slowly. You then simply bend the tines back with a hammer. They don't straighten out completely just bend a little. I made the first one after losing two fluke anchors in four days down in the keys several years ago. I found some cheap rebar wreck anchors at my local boating store, but they rust and make a mess. The all aluminum Mighty Mite anchor http://mightymiteanchors.com/ looked like the perfect solution, but it's not cheap. My tinkering do-it-yourself nature and desire to save about $70-80 resulted in my first Might Mite knock-off that lasted three years and worked perfectly. Unfortunately I accidentally backed over it with my truck a few weeks ago (don't ask).
__________________

2005 Sea Hunt 202, Honda BF150 2009 Toyota Tundra
HullSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:23 PM
  #9    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mobile Al
Posts: 543
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Quote:
HullSlap - 4/20/2008 7:53 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Quote:
DoorKicker - 4/19/2008 8:17 AM

When I read your post title I thought to myself.....Why in the world would you want a homemade anchor????

But now I see, that is great looking. Question, what are the advantages of this type compared to a lay-flat style?
I only use this anchor when I'm down in the Keys or wreck/artificial reef fishing in my area(Sarasota). The advantage is that you won't lose the anchor to the reef like a fluke type. The tines will flex allowing it to pull free. Cleat off the rode and motor forward slowly. You then simply bend the tines back with a hammer. They don't straighten out completely just bend a little. I made the first one after losing two fluke anchors in four days down in the keys several years ago. I found some cheap rebar wreck anchors at my local boating store, but they rust and make a mess. The all aluminum Mighty Mite anchor http://mightymiteanchors.com/ looked like the perfect solution, but it's not cheap. My tinkering do-it-yourself nature and desire to save about $70-80 resulted in my first Might Mite knock-off that lasted three years and worked perfectly. Unfortunately I accidentally backed over it with my truck a few weeks ago (don't ask).
Kewl, that makes sense
__________________
My boat
Clearwater 2400 Baystar
F200 Yamaha 4 stroke____________________________________________ ________________My day job
DoorKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:38 PM
  #10    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location:
Posts: 8
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Nice anchor, but I got an even better idea - set your anchor in the sand or the grass and you won't get it caught in the reef!!! Jeez - no wonder the reefs are getting so torn up.
vincent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:24 PM
  #11    
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 48
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Quote:
DoorKicker - 4/19/2008 7:23 PM

My tinkering do-it-yourself nature and desire to save about $70-80 resulted in my first Might Mite knock-off that lasted three years and worked perfectly. Unfortunately I accidentally backed over it with my truck a few weeks ago (don't ask).
Oh, admit it, it took you long enough to make that $70-80 is about what your time is worth. Fact is, it's just sweet to use a well-done piece of home-made gear.

Tom
kachadurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 AM
  #12    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,585
Default RE: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Nice work...however....I've been using Jimmy Hoffa for years....free
__________________

TB Hawks
Ocean Hookers Fishing Team
Key West 1720/90 Yamaha

TB Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:35 AM
  #13    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 2,502
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Quote:
vincent22 - 4/19/2008 7:38 PM

Nice anchor, but I got an even better idea - set your anchor in the sand or the grass and you won't get it caught in the reef!!! Jeez - no wonder the reefs are getting so torn up.
How about a remedial reading comprehension course between now and your next post.

When you read my reply to DoorKicker again (try it slowly with your mouth closed) you will notice the word "artificial" before the word "reef". The problem down in the keys is the naturally hard and rocky bottom everywhere. Wrecks are man made and covered with years of illegal add-ons.

I'm not anchoring over natural reefs!
__________________

2005 Sea Hunt 202, Honda BF150 2009 Toyota Tundra
HullSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 AM
  #14    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 2,502
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Quote:
kachadurian - 4/19/2008 8:24 PM

Quote:
DoorKicker - 4/19/2008 7:23 PM

My tinkering do-it-yourself nature and desire to save about $70-80 resulted in my first Might Mite knock-off that lasted three years and worked perfectly. Unfortunately I accidentally backed over it with my truck a few weeks ago (don't ask).
Oh, admit it, it took you long enough to make that $70-80 is about what your time is worth. Fact is, it's just sweet to use a well-done piece of home-made gear.

Tom
Yep!
__________________

2005 Sea Hunt 202, Honda BF150 2009 Toyota Tundra
HullSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:20 PM
  #15    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location:
Posts: 8
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Quote:
HullSlap - 4/20/2008 8:35 AM

Quote:
vincent22 - 4/19/2008 7:38 PM

Nice anchor, but I got an even better idea - set your anchor in the sand or the grass and you won't get it caught in the reef!!! Jeez - no wonder the reefs are getting so torn up.
How about a remedial reading comprehension course between now and your next post.

When you read my reply to DoorKicker again (try it slowly with your mouth closed) you will notice the word "artificial" before the word "reef". The problem down in the keys is the naturally hard and rocky bottom everywhere. Wrecks are man made and covered with years of illegal add-ons.

I'm not anchoring over natural reefs!
My apologies - I missed the "artificial" part - nevermind.
vincent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:45 PM
  #16    
Admirals Club Captains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dania Beach, FL
Posts: 19,060
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Looks great! Next thing you know you will be building them for a few of the many good people here.

BTW....How much?
__________________


Extended!

It's THT discount time! Now through November THT members get 20% off any order. See this thread for details.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...ount-time.html

www.CoastalNightLights.com
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:09 PM
  #17    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 2,502
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Quote:
vincent22 - 4/20/2008 1:20 PM

Quote:
HullSlap - 4/20/2008 8:35 AM

Quote:
vincent22 - 4/19/2008 7:38 PM

Nice anchor, but I got an even better idea - set your anchor in the sand or the grass and you won't get it caught in the reef!!! Jeez - no wonder the reefs are getting so torn up.
How about a remedial reading comprehension course between now and your next post.

When you read my reply to DoorKicker again (try it slowly with your mouth closed) you will notice the word "artificial" before the word "reef". The problem down in the keys is the naturally hard and rocky bottom everywhere. Wrecks are man made and covered with years of illegal add-ons.

I'm not anchoring over natural reefs!
My apologies - I missed the "artificial" part - nevermind.
No problem, apology accepted.

Sorry if I snapped back a bit. Just seems that lately some guys on this site just love looking for problems. Touched a nerve considering all the effort I put into my post.

__________________

2005 Sea Hunt 202, Honda BF150 2009 Toyota Tundra
HullSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:13 PM
  #18    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 2,502
Default Re: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Quote:
ScarabChris - 4/20/2008 2:45 PM

BTW....How much?

One E-Tec

Hell you have two of them. Think of all the gas I'll be saving you.

PM me for my shipping address.
__________________

2005 Sea Hunt 202, Honda BF150 2009 Toyota Tundra
HullSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
  #19    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 327
Default RE: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Hullslap - nice work. I have the lazy man store bought mitey might and it works great. Instead of using a hammer to bang back the tines, I use a piece of PVC tube 1 1/2 diameter and it works great.
__________________
2004 Striper 2101 W/A with 175 Evinrude
sunbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 PM
  #20    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pensacola Fl
Posts: 399
Default RE: Homemade anchor tutorial with pictures

Nice work. I used make a load of those in mild steel and aluminum and sell them to one of the local tackle shops. I might do that again this summer when I get out of school. I used pretty much the same design/tactics. I got a lot of compliments and not many could believe that a 15 year old could weld You could make a nice little side job out of these.
__________________
Josh

wishiniwasfishin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for a Penn tutorial On The Edge 1 SportFishing and Charters Forum 4 11-10-2008 06:26 PM
Homemade anchor & difficulty to set in strong current on muddy ground XV2PS The Boating Forum 9 06-12-2007 12:16 AM
post some pictures of your homemade live wells diesel 10 Boating & Outdoor Photos 11 07-05-2006 01:24 PM
XM weather/Garmin tutorial spoff4 Marine Electronics Forum 14 06-20-2006 11:53 AM
Prop change tutorial Barefootin The Boating Forum 11 04-19-2006 08:24 AM

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0