10-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Join Date: May 2007
THT forum guidelines and rules - please read before posting
THE HULL TRUTH FORUM USAGE GUIDELINES - PLEASE SEE THE RULES IN THE NEXT POST (BELOW)
The Hull Truth is a free forum for discussing boating and fishing. The opinions and comments expressed here are those of individuals who enjoy boating and fishing and not necessarily those of sponsors, advertisers or the Forum Director. If you're researching a new boat - or have been a captain for many years - you will find The Hull Truth contains a wealth of first-hand information from boat owners around the world. Feel free to register and post to the Forums. You may want to read some of the existing posts beforehand in order to get a "feel" for our friendly and informative conversations. Each member is allowed one user ID.Enjoy!
These forum guidelines are a work in progress and are not complete at this time. They may be changed or updated without notice. Please follow these guidelines when using The Hull Truth forum.
Posting as a New Forum Member
Pick your username carefully, because username changes are not allowed. Your username cannot be profane or otherwise problematic. As a new member, it is always a good idea to introduce yourself in your initial post. Giving details about your current boating situation or type of boating information you are seeking. It is not good practice, as a new Member, to post off-site links. The Forum was designed to promote discussion of boating-related topics and not to be used to post personal or advertising links. If you wish to post an advertisement or notification then please contact a Hull Truth Moderator for instructions. The Hull Truth Community is a very powerful and knowledgeable one. The best advice as a new member is to be yourself. Don't try to outwit current THT users or storm into the forum with a personal agenda as it will only result in a negative first impression. Starting topics which are emotional often results in arguments and that's not good.
Posting of Offsite Web Links
You may post a link to a site other than The Hull Truth, provided it is done to answer a question and not to solely advertise or promote your website. Any posts containing links that are determined to be for the sole purpose to advertise or promote will be deleted. No unapproved advertising of any business is allowed on this forum. If you have a personal boating-related website, and you wish to post a link, then please contact The Hull Truth Webmaster for instructions.
Selling Your Personal Boating & Fishing Merchandise
Forum members may only post their personal boating and fishing items for sale in the Trading-Dock forum. Any for sale posts outside of the Trading-Dock will be deleted. No dealers or brokers may sell their items using the Trading-Dock forum unless they are paid THT Sponsors. For complete rules and regulations regarding selling your merchandise on The Hull Truth please read the Trading-Dock posting guidelines:
The Hull Truth does not allow name changes because of the inevitable confusion over who used to be what and when. There are rare exceptions to this rule and those exceptions are usually made for legal reasons.
What is the Admirals Club?
The Admirals Club is an annual membership that gives you access to members-only forums like the Sand Bar. It also gives you the ability to post individual classified ads. There are other perks, like being able to post video in your posts, and an ever-expanding list of features.
See the feature list and join the club here:
We do Not Endorse Advertisers
Companies and individuals who would like to advertise on THT are welcome to do so providing they pay for the privilege. This is a private bulletin board. As such, THT reserves the right to refuse to allow an advertisement for any reason. THT does not endorse the advertisers and makes no statement of worthiness regarding same. THT specifically encourages its users to form their own judgments regarding any products or advertisements listed. As such, opinions are likely to be expressed which advertisers may or may not want to hear. Such is the risk any advertiser takes on this site.
Posting Guidelines for Marine Industry and Advertisers
We encourage discussion between marine industry professionals, our advertisers and our Forum members, but specific product and/or service advertising is strictly limited to the appropriate areas. There are numerous advantages to joining our exclusive Vendors Forum, becoming a banner advertiser or THT Sponsor.
Those in the Marine or Boating Industry may freely post to the Forum just as any other THT member with certain limitations.
Advertising Your Products or Services
- It is good practice to identify your company affiliation, without a web link, in your posts.
- You may not start a thread in the main Forum area to highlight or discuss your products. If you are assisting or offering information to another THT member on an issue directly related to your company, you may mention your company name but not use an active link when posting.
- Posting under a fictitious name to promote your product or service will result in forfeiture of all Forum posting rights.
- You may not bump threads or have other users bump your threads to keep active a thread that has run its course.
- You may not send PMs to users who have not posted into the thread with the objective of selling to them. This will be considered spam.
- Please do not express non-factual or personal opinions on competitor’s products.
- Current participants of THT Ad Programs must also follow these Guidelines. Banner advertisers or sponsors from other THT ad programs do not have additional posting privileges other than those detailed in that Ad Program.
- You MAY NOT advertise, promote, or link to any product or service related to your company or its subsidiaries, with the following exceptions: Vendors with vendor forums may link back to their THT vendor forum in posts. Those posts must be relevant to the conversation at hand, and on-topic or will be removed. THT Sponsors may begin threads in the areas of the Charter and Sportfishing forums and Trading Dock which are appropriate for the purposes of advertising and product promotion. Charter reports and only charter reports go in the Charter forum and items for sale must go into the Fishing and Misc items. Boats for sale by other than their personal owners must go in the Boat Commercial Classifieds.
- Guidelines for "informational" product posts are as follows: A. They must contain real, new information about a product. B. They must not substantially duplicate existing threads or posts. C. They must not contain sales language, pricing, availability information (other than a manufacturer release date), or branding other than the manufacturer's (i.e. no photos with stickers or water marks with the reseller's name, logo, etc.).
- Active Commercial links in signatures are not allowed. See the signature guidelines below.
There are several advertising programs for Vendors offered on The Hull Truth, each with their own set of detailed guidelines. If you are not part of a THT Ad Program you may not promote or advertise your product or services here. You can email email@example.com
for more information. Advertisements are placed here by the advertisers and no endorsement by THT is expressed or implied.
TERMS OF USAGE
Any messages or information you post to the forum become the sole property of the site operator and may or may not be displayed, or edited to remove offensive content, at the sole discretion of the site operator. The posting of copyrighted or illegal material is prohibited-- you must obey all applicable local laws, including those of the server and site owner. You may not post information invasive of another's personal privacy rights, harassment, libelous, or information of a confidential or copyrighted nature. Threads must be posted in the proper forums ie; boating in the boating forum and trucks and trailers in the truck and trailer forum. Threads outside of the correct forum may be moved or deleted at moderator discretion.
This forum is provided as a public service and your usage of this service may be terminated at any time by the site operator without prior notice. The Hull Truth, it's Officers, partners, members and all other parties with which it deals or is associated with, accept absolutely no responsibility or liability for what is published upon this web site. The purpose of The Hull Truth is to provide the opportunity for debate and discourse, and the sharing of opinions and predictions within the boating community and those organizations and individuals associated with it. All comments published here are published exactly as we received them from the author. They do not necessarily represent the views of The Hull Truth and we pass no opinion as to the content, nor do we accept any responsibility for the claims or statements made. Information submitted to the system should not be considered confidential or private and may be revealed as part of normal system operations. No warranty of service is implied.
Although THT does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at THT reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless THT, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We at THT reserve the right to revoke your membership to THT or disable your posting ability for any or no reason whatsoever. If as a member of THT, you feel you have cause to pursue legal action against THT, IB, and/or its officers, employees or agents, you agree to cease posting on THT until such time as the matter is resolved.
Below are some Signature Guidelines to help keep a friendly atmosphere on the forum and speed up page loading time.
1) No active commercial links. That includes Facebook and other social media sites. Links to your own non-commercial site may be allowed at THT discretion. You may list a commercial site in your signature, but it may not be a link. If you have a THT Vendor Forum, you may of course link to it.
2) No political statements in your signature, whether they are images or text.
3) The maximum total size for the signature is 500x200pixels
. This 200x500 block includes all text and images
. If your sig fits in that block, it's ok.
4) Images of a pornographic nature, explicit, or sexually oriented images should not be put up as signatures. The same applies to violent images.
5) Do not include animation, gifs, flashing text or images, or anything else designed to be obnoxious to the eye.
6) Keep your signature left-aligned.
For reference, this is 200x500 pixels (total allowable signature size):
If your ENTIRE SIGNATURE does not fit in this block, it's out of spec and must be reduced. This includes photos in the signature block.
Last edited by IBobi; 10-06-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Reason: Updated to include THT Sponsors
07-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Here are the MOST OFTEN VIOLATED rules:
1. No Politics outside of the Bilge
. . . only exception is non-partisan posts when dealing with legislation about boating, including fishing or trailering etc.
2. No Insults.
. . . no exceptions . . . don't try to get funny with innuendos or different spelling.
3. No Religion outside of the Bilge
. . . many threads start out innocently but they almost always end up with insults and people being disrespectful of other people's religions and personal beliefs
4. No Explicit Sexual Topics or photos outside of Sand Bar
. . . all of the other forums are to be treated as 'family content only'
5. No inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic posts with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting or deflecting on-topic discussion... outside of the Bilge.
Note: This is referred to (ironically) as "Trolling" in Internet slang.
Threads that break these rules
may either be deleted or
the offending posts deleted or
the threads may be sent to the Bilge. Likewise, those who violate these rules may be deleted without warning.
Here's the long version of the rules:
Membership and posting on THT is predicated on your adherence to the rules and policies detailed below. Failure to abide by these rules will result in the closure of your forum account and an end to your Membership on the site.
Considering the real-time nature of this forum, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views or information from the author of the message, not necessarily the views of THT or any entity associated with THT. Any information contained in this forum is delivered "as-is" without any form of warranty expressed or implied. Any use of the information contained within is solely at your own risk.
Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to use the alert system to notify a moderator. Please use the "Report This Post" feature, the triangular icon in the corner of the post. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.
Although THT does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at THT reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless THT, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We at THT reserve the right to revoke your membership to THT or disable your posting ability for any or no reason whatsoever.
YOUR MEMBERSHIP TO THT IS ALSO PREDICATED ON YOUR ADHERENCE TO THESE RULES. If you violate any of these rules your account may be suspended and you may be permanently banned from membership at our discretion. These rules are not meant to be exhaustive, and the moderation team reserves the right to act as they see fit in order to maintain the fun and integrity of the site.
There shall be no:
- Posting of personal attacks against another member, moderator or administrator in any THT forum.
- Posting of insults.
- Attacking family members in any way, shape or form.
- No trolling - Which we define as the posting of inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic posts with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting or deflecting on-topic discussion.
- No Explicit Sexual Topics or photos outside of Sand Bar. All of the other forums are to be treated as 'family content only'
- No Politics outside of the Bilge. The only exception is non-partisan posts when dealing with news or legislation.
- No Religion or religious topics outside of the Bilge.
- Spam or promotion of your personal site for advertising purposes.
- Posting of any form of advertising including: URL's with affiliate codes, referrer tags or anything which actively promotes a site or company. Paid advertisers are permitted to advertise within their Vendor forum, banner and button sponsorships, and other areas specifically arranged with the advertising Sales team.
- Using the addresses of any member on the forum for any other purpose than one on one personal communication. Any mailing in bulk to the forum Members (outside of official THT communication) or any unsolicited e-mail to members will result in immediate suspension of your membership.
- Posting of personal messages, in whole or in part, which have been received by you. That includes posting them on other sites without the expressed permission of the sender. We consider Private Messages to be private.
- Attempting to get around the forum rules by modifying the spelling of prohibited words. This includes the creative use of pictures.
- Creating an account for the purpose of representing yourself as another person, company or entity.
- Registering more than one account. If you share a connection, please contact a moderator/administrator before signing up another account or BOTH will be terminated. NOTE: If you use an alternate account during a suspension, you will be banned and not allowed to sign up for an account again.
- Use of a false, invalid or "one-time" e-mail address.
- Promoting links to an eBay auction or other auction site (this is considered advertising).
- Posting Information on how to defraud any company or promotion of any kind of illegal or unethical activity.
- Anything aimed at defrauding or taking advantage of another company, exploiting flaws or weaknesses in their systems or sites.
- Posting personal information (full name, street address, etc of another member or non-member without their consent).
- Anything that could interfere with the viewing of the forum by other members - including any Java or Java script, MARQUEE or other page altering tags.
- Signatures which violate THT guidelines. As a courtesy to fellow users utilizing low screen resolutions and/or slow Internet connection speeds, keep you signatures and signature pictures within the guidelines.
- Posting complete nonsense, gibberish or using the forum to play posting games.
- Attempting "forum domination". This includes creating new threads in a forum when a large number of yours are still on the first page of that forum.
- Continued posting in a manner that antagonizes other members such as trolling, making posts difficult to read or comprehend, repetitively posting the same thing, or posting in a style that lowers the overall quality of the forum. This determination will be made on a case-by-case basis by the moderators and administrators and is at their sole discretion.
- Moderators reserve the right to remove any posts, signatures, or avatars that violate forum rules, that may antagonize other members, or for any other reason they deem appropriate.
- Taking moderation in your own hands. If you see something posted that you think needs moderating attention please use the "Report This Post" feature, the icon in the corner of all posts but your own, to bring it to a moderator's attention.
- Attacking or harassing any moderator or administrator on the forum, by PM, in the open forums or via email.
- Ignoring or arguing with warning posts a moderator or administrator makes in a thread. If you think the warning is unjust please PM them to discuss it.
- Ignoring or arguing with the actions a moderator or administrator makes in a thread. If you think the action is unjust please PM them to discuss it.
- No posting of pictures outside SandBar that a member could reasonably be called on to explain if overseen in the office by a co-worker or boss or in the home by a spouse. We're not assuming that the member works in the Vatican nor, on the other extreme, are we assuming the member is married to a porn star.
Each forum area of THT may have additional rules that need to be followed for that specific area. These will be found in a sticky thread at the top of that forum.
We realize that there will be disagreements between members of THT. However, we have a zero tolerance policy for personal attacks. Attacking family members is prohibited anywhere on THT. Posts which contain any type of racial or ethnic slur may result in immediate suspension of your user account
If you post advertising or promotions for your company or a company you work for or pose as a consumer discussing your product you may be charged for advertising on THT and hereby agree to pay in full and advertising fee for your posts up to $5,000.
Last edited by IBobi; 02-01-2017 at 05:12 PM.
06-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Helpful info on asking questions, Moderators, Name Changes and Advertising
When you post a question, you'll get better answers if you include:
: Be clear about the type of help you need . . . e.g. 300 hp Scott Attwater Stalls at Idle
: Give the year, model, and anything else that helps . . . e.g. Generation 1 or Generation 2
: Give details about the problem . . . The engine stalls at idle when trolling but not when it is cold at the dock
DIAGNOSTICS and REPAIRS
: Let us know what you or your mechanic may have done . . . e.g. all filters have been replaced and the mechanic connected engine to computer and no codes showed up
DON'T ASK YOUR QUESTION BY POSTING INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S THREAD
: You'll get better answers in your own thread
PUT YOUR LOCATION IN YOUR PROFILE.
Different areas have different temps and water conditions.
: We get a lot of requests to change user names, but have found that allowing them can create problems and confusion. As such, request to change names are rarely allowed and usually only for security reasons.
CONTACTING A MODERATOR
: We are here to help, so if you have a problem or concern, simply send any of us a private message. Simply click on the moderator's name (example: THT Mod 7) on any post from a Moderator and it will bring up the "Send a private message" function. You can direct it to a specific Moderator by changing the number 7 to whomever you wish to send it to. You can also send a Private Message from your User Control Panel.
All of the Moderators handle the general forums.
Mod 7 also handles forum structure and advertising matters.
Mod 11 is the point person for issues on the Trading Dock.
Mod 8 and Mod 9 are the point people for the Bilge.
BECOMING AN ADVERTISER ON THT
: Listing items in the Trading dock is limited to individuals and commercial entities who have paid the fees to become a THT Supporter. Becoming a THT Supporter is easily done. Click on the "Join the Admiral's club" link at the top of the page and you'll find an option to become a THT Supporter. Or simply, click here: http://www.internetbrands.com/travel/advertise/
THT Supporters may list item in the commercial classifieds or in the Fishing and Misc items. Ads may not be cross posted; you may not have the same ad or items listed in both the commercial and private ads.
PAID ADVERTISERS ARE NOT ENDORSED BY THT
: Companies and individuals who would like to advertise on THT are welcome to do so providing they pay for the privilege. This is a private bulletin board. As such, THT reserves the right to refuse to allow an advertisement for any reason. THT does not endorse the advertisers and makes no statement of worthiness regarding same. THT specifically encourages its users to form their own judgments regarding any products or advertisements listed. As such, opinions are likely to be expressed which advertisers may or may not want to hear. Such is the risk any advertiser takes on this site, so you advertise at your own risk.
Last edited by THT Mod 9; 04-07-2016 at 11:10 AM.
02-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
How to contact a moderator
If you need to contact a moderator, please use the PM system. Send a PM to THT Mod 7 or THT Mod 8 or THT Mod 9 or THT Mod 11 or THT Mod 12 for most general forum issues. For advertising issues or serious problems, please send a PM to THT Mod 7.
IMPORTANT: THT MODS do not have THT e-mail accounts, so don't ask for an e-mail address or response.
02-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Originally Posted by Dead Horse
how do i find a link to the mods to be able to send a priv message ??
Go to your User Control Panel (easiest way is to click on Private Messages on the right part of the screen towards the top; under where it says Welcome "User Name"
then click Send New Message on the left hand side, and in then in the "To:" field start to type THT Mod and they will all pop up. Be sure to sent the PMs only to those listed at the top of this thread.
If it is a general problem regarding a specific post or thread - then use the Alert Feature
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 PM.