Trucks & Trailers - Is ok to test tire pressure while boats on trailer?

THE HULL TRUTH is the world's largest FREE network for the discussion of Boating & Fishing. Whether you're researching a new boat, or are a seasoned Captain, you'll find The Hull Truth Boating & Fishing Message Forum contains a wealth of information from Boaters and Sportfishermen around the world.




claw1080
03-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Wasnt sure if you get a true reading with the weight of the boat on the trailer....???? Thanks


Severance
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Do it all the time. I can't see why it would be any different than checking the air pressure on your car tires.

claw1080
03-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks, Think I was just over thinking the concept...


bunger79
03-03-2011, 05:26 PM
I called ameratrail trailers last year when my dad and I got into an agruement about this topic. They said it does not matter if boat is on the trailer or off the trailer.

Chad

sjef
03-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Just make sure the valve stem is in the 12 o'clock position:jk:

chrisrack
03-04-2011, 03:49 AM
I called ameratrail trailers last year when my dad and I got into an agruement about this topic. They said it does not matter if boat is on the trailer or off the trailer.

Chad

It doesn't make any difference. They were correct.

Air pressure is a function of air volume and space volume (the tire). By compressing the tire a bit (as with a boat being on the trailer) you are just changing the shape of the tire, not changing the volume.

gf
03-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Right, you want to change the air in your tires at least annually! :grin:

surveyingdawg
03-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Right, you want to change the air in your tires at least annually! :grin:


I usually time it to coincide with the changing of the blinker fluid and the sparkplugs in my diesel.

Glock Diver
03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
And if you let the shop fill 'em with Nitrogen for $20 each, it'll make the tires last forever! ;)



...
what a racket!

FISHNNCBLUE
03-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Just make sure the valve stem is in the 12 o'clock position:jk:
Well I was always told to do it in the 6 o'clock position because they were always flatter on the bottom. :grin:

dahlbebop
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
The military uses nitrogen because it doesn't expand with heat. Like on aircraft tires.:thumbsup:And if you let the shop fill 'em with Nitrogen for $20 each, it'll make the tires last forever! ;)



...
what a racket!

Bucket List
03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
First day on the job fresh out of high school..........

"hey kid, go to the tool crib and get me a stud-stretcher!"

......... I show up after lunch without the stud-stretcher. "Where the hell have you been for the last four hours?"

....... "I've been to every tool crib in the whole yard, none in stock!" :grin:

That was just shy of forty years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

FISHNNCBLUE
03-08-2011, 08:17 PM
The military uses nitrogen because it doesn't expand with heat. Like on aircraft tires.:thumbsup:

Nitrogen-the official gas of NASCAR. ;cool;

dahlbebop
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Yupper:)Nitrogen-the official gas of NASCAR. ;cool;

fishlessam
03-09-2011, 06:01 AM
And don"t forget to fill up the headlight fluid and grease the muffler bearing.

kerno
03-09-2011, 07:43 AM
The air we are breathing is 79 percent nitrogen, so it is not like nitrogen is some rare gas. I don't quite understand how nitrogen could be the only gas to violate Boyle's law and not expand and contract unless you expect the remaining 21 percent - comprised mostly of oxygen, to do all the expansion.

Tire shops are doing a job marketing it, but the real truth is that it fails the science test and only passes the wallet lightening test.

Bucket List
03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
This is totally off the subject, but Oxygen expands tremendously with differenent weather conditions. Nitrogen does not. If you put regular air in an aircraft tire, the tires literally would blow up from the speed/ heat while landing. I personally would never pay 20 dollars per tire. Maybe $5 bucks per tire. Nitrogen filled tires wear better because they stay at the right psi. They don't lose air because of heat. Oxygen is a explosive gas, keep that in mind.


Not sure how much you think tire pressure changes.......

My daily driver has the tpms digital readout showing each tire while driving. Three psi total change with the 225/60/18 tires.

ZIGZAG
03-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Nitrogen-the official gas of NASCAR. ;cool;

NASCAR = nitrogen, ethanol, and diversity, and I've always heard check them at the 7 o'clock position.

Joe
03-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Oxygen is a explosive gas, keep that in mind.

I'm sorry...what?

Oxygen isn't flammable. And it doesn't explode so much as make everything around it a fuel (in VERY high concentrations). It's an accelerator.

As far as it expanding..at atmospheric pressure, pure O2 would have a very high coefficient of expansion..luckily, that's not what we put in our tires. What we put in our tires is about 78% nitrogen already...and about 20% oxygen. That combination is also a non pressurized version of what we breath everyday. Good thing oxygen isn't flammable, huh? Just think how much more dangerous smoking and drinking alcohol would be!

RollinSmoke
03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Oxygen is a explosive gas, keep that in mind.

Yea....Oxygen is NOT explosive. It just enhances combustion. Genious
:banghead:

Never Satisfied
03-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Just to clear up some confusion,
Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires because it's not as susceptible to thermal expansion and moisture is removed.
Dry air, which is basically compressed air with moisture removed may be used, but nitrogen is perferred.

Comment about explosion possibility...yes, but its from a gas that is given off by the tire and kept concentrated inside the tire assembly. Very rare explosion instances, most aircraft tire explosions that could be conected to this would be from hot brakes.

dahlbebop
03-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Man,these guys are to sensitive!! Never Satisfied, you are absolutely correct on what you have said.Guess I should have said, oxygen supports combustion. Without oxygen you don't have fire. And no need, I don't think, to get in the discussion of LIQUID OXYGEN. Just to clear up some confusion,
Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires because it's not as susceptible to thermal expansion and moisture is removed.
Dry air, which is basically compressed air with moisture removed may be used, but nitrogen is perferred.

Comment about explosion possibility...yes, but its from a gas that is given off by the tire and kept concentrated inside the tire assembly. Very rare explosion instances, most aircraft tire explosions that could be conected to this would be from hot brakes.

rwidman
03-10-2011, 07:24 AM
The air we are breathing is 79 percent nitrogen, so it is not like nitrogen is some rare gas. I don't quite understand how nitrogen could be the only gas to violate Boyle's law and not expand and contract unless you expect the remaining 21 percent - comprised mostly of oxygen, to do all the expansion.

Tire shops are doing a job marketing it, but the real truth is that it fails the science test and only passes the wallet lightening test.
:thumbsup:

charlie100348
03-12-2011, 12:01 PM
every 10 degree change in ambient temperature results in a 1 lb psi differential in tire pressure. See Boyles law or ask any diver.

Glock Diver
03-12-2011, 04:13 PM
The air we are breathing is 79 percent nitrogen, so it is not like nitrogen is some rare gas. I don't quite understand how nitrogen could be the only gas to violate Boyle's law and not expand and contract unless you expect the remaining 21 percent - comprised mostly of oxygen, to do all the expansion.

Tire shops are doing a job marketing it, but the real truth is that it fails the science test and only passes the wallet lightening test.

:rofl:
It's fun to ask the guy at the tire shop if their Nitrogen is 100% pure Nitrogen. And then ask how that extra 21% makes such a difference. I ask that every time they offer it, and I've yet to have one explain how the extra 21% will make it worth spending the extra $$$.

baypro21
03-19-2011, 02:01 AM
My grandad designed and built airplanes and had a hanger/airport at his house. When I was bothering him 1 day in the hanger (I was probably 8-9 yrs. old) he sent me on a search for some prop wash. :rofl: My dad worked at RDU years ago in the general aviation division (I think that's what it's called) they serviced private planes (like Cessna's). They always sent the new guy to the next hanger over to get some prop wash. He said most took it well and others came back wanting to fight after the crew next door laughed them all the way back. :rofl:

baypro21
03-19-2011, 02:06 AM
Since air is mainly nitrogen us hvac guys should save some money and quit buying nitrogen and just use free air to pressure test and purge refrigerant lines. ;?;?;?























:jk:

airbrush
03-19-2011, 02:10 AM
Somebody PLEASE find me a henway!!!!!

twobyfour
03-19-2011, 05:16 AM
In my profession, we will often send the rookie out to the trailer for the "board stretcher":rofl:

ndb8fxe
04-02-2011, 02:40 PM
My grandad designed and built airplanes and had a hanger/airport at his house. When I was bothering him 1 day in the hanger (I was probably 8-9 yrs. old) he sent me on a search for some prop wash. :rofl: My dad worked at RDU years ago in the general aviation division (I think that's what it's called) they serviced private planes (like Cessna's). They always sent the new guy to the next hanger over to get some prop wash. He said most took it well and others came back wanting to fight after the crew next door laughed them all the way back. :rofl:

While your out getting propwash could you get me some flight line.

shoreboatin
04-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Green handled plywood strecher kept a kid fresh out of high school busy in the truck for about 3 hours back in about 88 or 89 . GOOD TIMES !!! Sorry I drifted off but I can;t seriously consider if a tire has the same air with or without a load on it a real question . Please hand me the loaded tire ,tire gauge. We all have our moments though don;t we.

Irish Jig 78
04-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Right, you want to change the air in your tires at least annually! :grin:

Well, actually, you're incorrect.

By all rights you need to change the air twice a year. Do you really think that the winter air is good in the summer and vice-versa? Huh...people never cease to amaze me...:rofl:

docters oarders
04-11-2011, 11:52 AM
left handed crescent wrench
Blue plumb bob fluid
reversible 3/4" socket
Bubbles for a 2ft level


Sent our new warehouse guy to ACE hardware to look for these. came back 2 hrs latter and I sent him to daytona nut and bolt to get them. I called them ahead of time and they played along and gave him everything I asked for, but they made him call me about the bubbles for my level,as they would need to order them

Goin' Deep
04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
"left handed crescent wrench
Blue plumb bob fluid
reversible 3/4" socket
Bubbles for a 2ft level" ....... now that's funny right there!

That takes me back to my youth in the mid-80's when I worked at a auto-parts store counter after high school. One of the guys would call the counter asking me to get a radiator cap for a 65 Corvair. There were no computers back then, just 12' of books across the counter. I must have looked for 15 minutes before someone let me in on the fact they were air cooled. :-) -TomT



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0