The Carolinas - Ocracoke chart
THE HULL TRUTH is the world's largest FREE network for the discussion of Boating & Fishing. Whether you're researching a new boat, or are a seasoned Captain, you'll find The Hull Truth Boating & Fishing Message Forum contains a wealth of information from Boaters and Sportfishermen around the world.
Could anyone recc. a chart that would be best for local Ocracoke waters? Been there several times but never taken my boat over. Which would be best for detail of local waters? Heading over there 07/19. If anyone happens to be going over then, let me know and we can run across together. I'm leaving from Morehead that morning, weather permitting.
Anyone ran it from Morehead that can tell me approximate distance? I'm guessing a 70-80 mile run. Anyone have the coordinates for the ferry channel markers I would need to run to? Guess I'll see that once I buy the chart.
07-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Approximately71 miles using the ICW from Morehead to Oriental, then NE thru the Neuse River Basin and finally East across the Pamilco. Remember the Pamilco can get very nasty when the wind blows. It can get3' - 6' with closely spaced waves that will beat the hell out of you and your boat. If you have a good GPS those maps will be your biggest aid. Go to Westmarine of Hatteras Outfitters they have the Map Source chart you'll need. Here's an chart overview of what I would recommend.
07-02-2007, 04:14 PM
We fished out of there two weekends ago. Ran up on the outside and back on the outside. The inlet and channel bouys have not changed since last year. Very well marked. There is a sharp dogleg you have to be careful about. If you miss it you will put her up on the bar. I haven't been up on the inside for over a year. Pretty simple. Only three markers you run to. One is the Neuse river mouth marker, Brandt shoals, and I forgot the name of the third. Be careful of crab bouys. They are everywhere.
Thanks Tom. Very helpful info. I love that chart program you use. If I could bring my chartplotter home with me, I'd be using it too. But mine is a pain to take off the boat. And my Garmin unit is a small one, since I just use it for backup.
I don't draft much, so I believe I'll be fine just watching out for anything obvious in the sound. I need to take a look at what my chartplotter will show up that way. As well as pick up a good chart of the area. My main concern is just getting into (and staying in!) the ferry channel to get across the shoals over there and get into Silver Lake.
YF, we posted at the same time. I was going to run the route inside. Just about like Tom outlined. Outside would be much easier and quicker, but I've been outside before and now want to go the sound route, just because I haven't done it. Had planned to run to those first two buoys. It's after Brant Shoal buoy that I'm not sure about. Any idea what that third buoy was?? I had sort of thought I'd run from Brant Shoals to Green 3, but make an arc to the north of it and come in to be sure and clear those shoals. From there, I should be safe to run straight to the main channel marker. I marked a course a month or two back on my large chart, but want to get a chart with more detail of the Ocracoke area, if possible.
YF, sounds like you stayed in Ocracoke during the BR?? Where is that dogleg? I assume it's on the chart, but my chart is on the boat in Morehead right now. Is it inside or outside the surf zone?
07-02-2007, 05:56 PM
The three marker is three or 4 miles before you turn into the channel going in. It marked the shoals right out of Ocracoke. The dog leg you need to be careful about is the channel leading to the inlet. It is on the back side of the island right you make your turn to the inlet. It is well marked, just don't miss the bouy.
07-03-2007, 03:04 PM
JB ... here's afew more overhead comparison pictures of your route.
Tom, cool shots. Thanks. Is that off Goggle? It's all those light brown spots to the right over near Ocracoke that I'm most worried about!
07-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Those are goggle overheads those are the same one that the new Garmin 400/500/4000/5000 use. When you get to Ocracoke there will be many boats for you to follow in. It is actually not bad at all. We make the run from Washington, NC to Ocracike on occassion. Great trip! :grin:
07-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Just to reaffirm what others have said and provide info for others. Don't go on a smaller boat unless the weather is good! We had a great trip over to Ocracoke early last week. Calm conditions and an easy trip over. Tom, thanks for the charts. Turned out to be easy, but without having done it before, nice to have all the info you can get beforehand.
Trip back was a different story altogether. Sunday winds were in the 25-30mph range, and debated go/no go. No co-pilot for the trip back either, I was solo. But with winds NE, knew I'd be running mostly with them most of the way back, so decided to go. If it were still SW as it usually is this time of year, no way. I'd have been spending a leisurely evening at Howard's! Turned out to be an OK ride as I suspected. Wouldn't have wanted to be on anything much smaller though.
But the bear was getting out the channel at Ocracoke. Followed one of the ferries out but turns out I should have taken the alternate channel. Didn't notice it in the nice conditions going in earlier in the week, but there's a bar out near the end of the ferry channel and it was very much like running a rough inlet trying to get through there. Shallow water and rough breaking waves made it interesting. Just had to be careful, but it wasn't fun. I stopped and rolled out the side curtains when I saw the conditions and the ferry stopped (guess he was being certain he was in the right place to cross). Thank goodness for wing curtains, or I'd have been soaking wet. Once I got out that channel and made the turn around the shoals, it wasn't too bad. Just had to watch your speed and the waves, as normal when it's rough. Certainly took me longer to get back than it did to get there though!
Just watch that wind speed AND wind direction if you go. And plan it so you know you can stay an extra night or two if need be. If the wind had been 90D or more off what it was, I'd have stayed another night, for sure. FYI, they don't allow beaching at the point now (protection of one of the bird species, they said). We tried to go over to Portsmouth and go on the beach there, but the mosquitoes, green flies and no-see-um's were unbelieveable. I think we stayed on the beach 5 minutes max. They were just voted best beach in the USA, so probably better to take the 4WD and go out on the beach than to take a boat over unless you're going offshore fishing.